History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalston, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8012 / 54°48'4"N

Longitude: -2.967 / 2°58'1"W

OS Eastings: 337931

OS Northings: 545577

OS Grid: NY379455

Mapcode National: GBR 7DQX.FP

Mapcode Global: WH80G.DLC5

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78331

Location: Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Dalston

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Raughton Head All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dalston

Listing Text

NY 34 NE DALSTON Raughton Head


10/144 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
formerly listed as
Raughton Head Church

II

Chapel now Church. East-wall inscription THIS CHAPEL WAS REBUILT A.D.1761, JOHN
BEWLEY, CURATE, GEO MARTINDALE, JOHN SANDERSON, CHAPEL WARDENS; also built into
east wall the lintel from the earlier chapel inscribed EDW CARLIOL ME
CONSECRAVIT JULY 21 1678; additions of 1881, dated by brass plaque on vestry
door. Mixed red and calciferous sandstone rubble with red sandstone V-jointed
quoins on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and
kneelers; flat roof on tower. Large square west 2-storey tower/porch; 5-bay
nave/chancel with north vestry. West entrance in quoined surround with
keystone; narrow round-headed window above. Upper part of tower of 1881 with
Norman style louvred vents. Semicircular stair turret projects from north
wall. Nave/chancel: large C18 leaded windows in round-arched surrounds with
keystones. Tripartite east window. 1881 north vestry. Interior: parts of the
chancel screen and panelling may be reused wood from box pews. Pulpit made of
reused carved oak panel with Latin inscription and M.W. 1628. Carved oak
Bishop's seat is dated 1884. Oak panelled chest with initials G.C. and date
1715. Various white marble wall plaques, one to the Reverend Robert Monkhouse
of 1822 by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass.
Seating of 1881.


Listing NGR: NY3793145577

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.