This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9491 / 50°56'56"N
Longitude: -2.6917 / 2°41'30"W
OS Eastings: 351503
OS Northings: 116860
OS Grid: ST515168
Mapcode National: GBR ML.NHW0
Mapcode Global: FRA 567L.R51
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263482
Location: Brympton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
Civil Parish: Brympton
Built-Up Area: Yeovil
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST51NW BRYMPTON D'EVERCY CP
3/27 Church of St Peter and St Paul
Anglican parish church. C14 or earlier origins, but rebuilt 1865 by Benjamin Ferrey, incorporating some old fragments.
Ham stone roughly cut and squared ashlar dressings; plain clay tiled roof between coped gables. Two cell plan of single
bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south porch and west bull turret. Chancel has chamfered plinth, cill course and eaves
course with ball flower ornament, side buttresses; 3-light east window with Geometric style tracery, label with
headstops, and single plain lancet in north and south walls; nave has plinth, moulded eaves course, buttresses at
junction with chancel and to sides at west end: 2-light windows with various types of tracery, all with headstop
labels; west window 3-light Geometric style above which is the belfry, oblong with pitched roof, on carved corbel base,
with one arched opening to north and south and two to east and west. South porch has low wide pointed arch on scalloped
corbels, with headstop label inner arch plain. Inside, chancel has arched scissor braced roof, rere-arches to windows
including shafts and moulding to east window; timber panelled reredos and typical C19 fittings; chancel arch of 2
orders with single C12 type shafts. Nave has king post truss roof, and rather wide splays to windows. Of the fittings,
a stoup by the south door partly old, and the font, possibly C12, is a circular tub with chamfered plinth, cable mould
and ring of incised ornament at top including crosses; otherwise fittings C19 or C20 (news). Several reclaimed
memorials, including floor slabs of 1663 and 1771. Small print of single cell pre-1865 church in nave. First recorded
rector before 1420. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5150316860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings