This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9485 / 50°56'54"N
Longitude: -2.8067 / 2°48'24"W
OS Eastings: 343423
OS Northings: 116872
OS Grid: ST434168
Mapcode National: GBR MF.NJQV
Mapcode Global: FRA 560L.NCX
Entry Name: Former United Reform Church
Listing Date: 18 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264235
Location: South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13
Civil Parish: South Petherton
Built-Up Area: South Petherton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST JAMES'S STREET (East end)
Former United Reform Church
Former church, now used as public hall. 1863. Ham stone, cut, squared and boasted, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof to steep pitch between coped gables with finials. Single-storey, 6 bays x 3 bays. West gable front of 3 bays, with
pairs of corner buttresses and between-bay buttresses, all with finials, the inner pair having steeplets as finials: to bays 1 and 3 cusped lancet windows, and to bay 2 a 5-light Decorated style traceried window without label, rather thin tracery, above which is set a trefoil louvred vent; below is a pointed-arched doorway protected by open pitched-roof porch with C14 style outer archway with label. Side elevations have corner and bay buttresses; 2-light
simple-tranceried windows, that to western bay having its cill at springing level, with pitched roofed gabled dormers over each window. Single-bay gabled extension to east end, set lower, with further extension against east side of this, having a cusped lancet window and pointed arched doorway, with trefoil light over. Interior not accessible - in process of conversion into public hall in April 1986, apparently with very little alteration to interior. Presbytrian meetings began in South Petherton about 1663. A chapel was built on part of the present site in 1775. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4341916865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings