This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3719 / 51°22'18"N
Longitude: -0.4588 / 0°27'31"W
OS Eastings: 507374
OS Northings: 164775
OS Grid: TQ073647
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.90W
Mapcode Global: VHFTY.0S95
Plus Code: 9C3X9GCR+QF
Entry Name: Churchfield Centre
Listing Date: 16 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473015
Location: Weybridge Riverside, Elmbridge, Surrey, KT13
Electoral Ward/Division: Weybridge Riverside
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Weybridge
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Weybridge
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TR 06 SE
CHURCHFIELD ROAD Churchfield Centre
Technical Institute. Circa 1912 by Jarvis and Richards for Surrey County Council. Red brick in English bond with ashlar dressings, yellow and blue engineering brick to rear; hipped plain tile roofs with swept eaves; brick stacks. U-shaped plan, open at east end (rear). 2 storeys with partial cellar. In Arts and Crafts style having: rusticated quoins; wooden mullion-and-transom windows with leaded casements, mostly two-light, those on ground floor taller, on cill band, and having arches linked by impost band with tile-on-edge to tympana; brick cill band to 1st floor; tall chimneys with pilaster strips and moulded caps. Entrance (west) elevation: 3 wide asymmetrical bays. Outer bays project, that on left further; wide single-storey porch (possibly an addition) across centre and part of right bay. Porch has 2 stone steps up to panelled and part-glazed double-door in ashlar architrave with elaborate console keystone and cornice over; 1-light side-windows and similar ro return which also has downpipe with decorative hopper dated 1912; ashlar band below deep parapet with moulded ashlar coping. Above porch, 5-light window. Left bay has one window to each floor and oculus to return. Right bay has one window and a smaller 1-light window to ground floor and one flanked by oculi above. Ridge stack between left bays. Right return (south elevation): 5 bays. 6 ground-floor windows. 1st-floor windows of bays 1, 3 and 5 rise through eaves under segmental pediments with herring-bone tilework to tympana; paired 1-light windows to bays 2 and 4. Chimney at right end. Octagonal wooden cupola at centre of roof has segmental-arched sides, deep moulded cornice, and dome surmounted by ball finial and weather-vane. Left return (north elevation): 6 ground-floor windows. On 1st floor at centre, paired, large 3-light windows rising through eaves under shared flat rood with moulded eaves cornice. Flanking 4-light windows, that on left with 3-light flat-roofed dormer above. Lead rainwater pipe on right. Stack at left end. Rear: single-storey toilet block at centre with clerestorey; large windows and some small-pane sashes. Interior: panelled and part-glazed doors with decorative leading, entrance doors with fanlights and archivolts; large dog-leg stair with decorative panels to balustrade and heavy moulded handrail and newels; boarded wainscots; panelled cupboards; simple cornices; some decorative window-latch terminals; terazzo flooring on ground floor.
A good-quality early-C20 Technical Institute built in the Arts and Crafts style.
Listing NGR: TQ0737464775
Other nearby listed buildings