History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Balderstone and Kirkholt, Rochdale

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6009 / 53°36'3"N

Longitude: -2.1464 / 2°8'46"W

OS Eastings: 390411

OS Northings: 411606

OS Grid: SD904116

Mapcode National: GBR FVGS.3W

Mapcode Global: WHB8Y.0R6B

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary

Listing Date: 4 January 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346266

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358913

Location: Rochdale, OL11

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Balderstone and Kirkholt

Built-Up Area: Rochdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Balderstone St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Rochdale

Listing Text

SD 91 SW ROCHDALE OLDHAM ROAD
(west side)

7/83 Church of Saint
4.1.1974 Mary.

G.V. II

Church. 1865-72. J.M. and H. Taylor. Coursed rubble with
ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave with aisles,
clerestory, transepts, chancel and north west tower. Gothic
Revival in a Decorated style. North elevation has 4-bay
nave with elaborately buttressed aisles. Window openings to
aisles are of two lights with Decorated tracery and hood
moulds. Square-headed openings to clerestory are 3-light
with cusped tracery. The transept has a rose window, and a
central circular buttress with a carved animal finial and
rises from a three stage hexagonal base. The chancel is of
two bays and has diagonal buttresses and moulded eaves
detail. Each part is roofed separately with patterned
slates and has gable parapets and cross finish. The lofty
tower with its diagonal offset buttresses is of 4 stages and
has an octagonal stair turret in its left side. The bell
stage has 2 cusped lancet openings, ball flower eaves detail
and angel and animal gargoyles. The broach spire has gabled
lucarnes and canopy pinnacles to each corner. Inside there
is a four-light stone screen between chancel and organ
chamber and vestry, polished granite nave arcade columns and
a central space with high transeptal and chancel arches.
The roofs are scissor trussed except for the chancel which
is braced and panelled. The church forms part of a complete
group with the school to the south, in the same style.


Listing NGR: SD9041111606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.