History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Melwood Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5115 / 53°30'41"N

Longitude: -0.7987 / 0°47'55"W

OS Eastings: 479758

OS Northings: 402315

OS Grid: SE797023

Mapcode National: GBR QWVT.WY

Mapcode Global: WHFFC.PZVX

Entry Name: High Melwood Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346693

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165201

Location: Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Owston Ferry

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Owston Ferry St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Epworth

Listing Text

SE 70 SE OWSTON FERRY EPWORTH ROAD
(south-west side, off)

11/137 High Melwood Farmhouse

15.7.87

- II

House, now farmhouse. Probably early C18, with earlier origins, for the
Acklom family; later C18 - C19 alterations and additions to the west.
Brick, colour-washed. Pantile roof. Original section rectangular on plan,
double-depth, with 2-room, central-entrance south front; 1- or 2-room
addition to left with further single-room extension beyond. South front: 2
storeys, 2 first-floor windows to original section; single-window addition
and lower 2-storey extension to left. Entrance to earlier section has C19
part-glazed door beneath plain overlight, flanked by single C19
4-pane sashes with sills beneath brick flat arches. 3-course brick first-
floor band. First floor: pair of similar sashes in flush wooden architraves
with sills, and smaller blocked windows to centre and right. Similar sashes
to left addition. Stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice. Tall hipped
roof to early section with a pair of corniced ridge stacks to left and right
returns. Hipped roof and side wall stack to left addition; swept roof to
lower extension. Rear of earlier section has single C19 ground-floor sash,
brick first-floor band, and pair of small C19-C20 first-floor casements,
perhaps in original openings. Not fully investigated. The High Melwood
Hall belonging to the Stanhopes is recorded as being a "large stone
building" within a moat and surrounded by a park, which was converted to a
farm by the Ackloms who succeeded John Stanhope after his death in 1705.
The C19 alterations were probably undertaken for the Skipwith family. An
unusual survival in a prominent position. Empty and disused at time of
resurvey. W B Stonehouse, The History and Topography of the Isle of
Axholme, 1839, pp 256-260; W Read, History of The Isle Of Axholme, 1858, pp
317-8.


Listing NGR: SE7975802315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.