History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel at International University

A Grade II Listed Building in Bushey, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6529 / 51°39'10"N

Longitude: -0.3714 / 0°22'17"W

OS Eastings: 512760

OS Northings: 196158

OS Grid: TQ127961

Mapcode National: GBR 53.F1N

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.JQ07

Plus Code: 9C3XMJ3H+5C

Entry Name: Chapel at International University

Listing Date: 2 December 1974

Last Amended: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346917

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164117

Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Town: Hertsmere

Electoral Ward/Division: Bushey St James

Built-Up Area: Bushey

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bushey

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Watford

Listing Text

TQ 19 NW BUSHEY THE AVENUE
(Northeast side)
Bushey

6/69 Chapel at International
2.12.74 University (formerly
listed as part of Royal
Masonic School)

GV II

Private chapel. 1900 by E.D.Webb for Royal Masonic Institute for Boys.
Knapped flint with stone dressings. Tiled roof. Perpendicular Gothic
style. 4-bay nave with 1-bay chancel, vestries to N and S, N organ bay.
W end: double doors under 4 centred arched head. 3-light 4 centred
arched leaded window above, oculus in coped gable. Octagonal turret to
SW with stone quoins. 3-light openings in 4 faces. Ashlar parapet with
arms in quatrefoils to 4 sides. Diagonal buttress to NW. Plinth. To N
and S: straight buttresses, small windows in W bay, larger 5-light
traceried 4-centred arched headed windows to nave. Semi-octagonal E end
with three 3-light windows with traceried 4 centred arched heads.
Vestries with 3-light windows under gable with ashlar parapet. 2-light
windows on returns, diagonal buttresses. Straight buttresses on organ
bay to N. Interior: W gallery, arched braced roof. E window 1901 by P.H.
Newman. (Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TQ1276096158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.