History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stallingborough, North East Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5895 / 53°35'22"N

Longitude: -0.196 / 0°11'45"W

OS Eastings: 519506

OS Northings: 411837

OS Grid: TA195118

Mapcode National: GBR WV2X.CZ

Mapcode Global: WHHHQ.Y1VJ

Plus Code: 9C5XHRQ3+RJ

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 4 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346978

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164433

Location: Stallingborough, North East Lincolnshire, DN41

County: North East Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Stallingborough

Built-Up Area: Stallingborough

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Stallingborough St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TA 11 SE
(west end)

Church of St Peter and St




Parish church. 1779-81. Interior restorations of 1874 included removal of
gallery, reseating, creation of quasi-chancel; roof repaired and reslated
1884; ashlar window surrounds and glazing of 1908; chancel restored 1911;
chancel screen of 1922, vestry of 1926. Orange-brown brick, in Flemish
bond to tower and south and west sides of nave/chancel, in English bond to
north and east sides; limestone ashlar dressings, with sections of ironstone
ashlar to plinth on north and east sides of nave/chancel. Welsh slate
roofs. West tower with west entrance, 4-bay nave/chancel. Tall ashlar
plinth with cyma recta moulding. Brick quoins. 3-stage tower with 2-course
brick bands between stages. Round-headed doorway with plastered surround
and keyed archivolt, double board doors with ornate wrought-iron strap
hinges. Second stage: circular openings in raised ashlar surrounds,
containing boarded window to west, recessed panels to north and south.
Round-headed belfry windows with pilastered surrounds, bracketed sills,
keyed archivolts and wooden louvres. Quoins to tower form rusticated angle
pilasters carrying plain brick frieze with ashlar eaves cornice. Pyramidal
roof with original finial and weather-vane. Nave/chancel: round-headed
windows to south and east in C20 quoined ashlar surround with moulded
imposts and keyed archivolts, brick aprons and C20 diamond-pane leaded
windows in hollow-chamfered reveals; north side has similar blind openings
but in original brick surrounds with ashlar sills, imposts and keystones.
Stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice with moulded ashlar cornice and
blocking course above. West end of nave has 2-course brick band continued
from first stage of tower.

INTERIOR. Round-headed doorway from tower to
nave; nave open to chancel. Modillioned cornice, 8-bay ceiled roof with
exposed chamfered beams; inserted C19 posts and moulded brackets forming
chancel "arch". Original flagstone floor with black marble insets to nave,
C19 polychrome tiled floor to chancel. Oak chancel screen in Classical
style with Ionic pilasters and dentilled pediment; door to vestry with eared
architrave and entablature. Stained glass east window of 1897. Brass to
Sir William Ascough (d1541) and his wife: figures of Knight and Lady
approximately 0.45 metres high in costumes emblazoned with heraldic devices
inscribed scrolls issuing from mouths, inscribed plate below, and small
indent for missing brass above. Alabaster and ashlar chest tomb to Sir
Edward Ayscough (d1612) and wife Esther: effigy of Knight in armour lying on
rolled mat, with head on tasselled cushion, coat of arms at head and helmet
at feet, beside effigy of Lady lying on her side propped up on her elbow, on
chest with angle pilasters carved with trophies, inscribed black marble
frieze, and miniature figures of 5 male and 6 female children kneeling
alongside. Early C17 alabaster and marble wall monument to Sir Edward
Ayscough, erected by his son Sir Francis: inscribed tablet in pilastered
surround with strapwork supports, inscribed frieze and cornice, carrying a
bust with both arms, the head resting on one hand, the other holding a baton
(missing at time of resurvey), in a round-arched niche with rosette ornament
to soffit and relief panel to rear with trophies, beneath inscribed frieze
and moulded cornice supporting oval relief tablet with arms and crest.
Octagonal font with plain moulded bowl and base on square pedestal, reset in
1872. Natte's drawings show oculi to the tower. The plinth probably
incorporates ashlar from the previous church which collapsed in 1746.
Drawings by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library;
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 377,
plate 44.

Listing NGR: TA1950611837

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.