This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7178 / 53°43'4"N
Longitude: -0.9016 / 0°54'5"W
OS Eastings: 472580
OS Northings: 425161
OS Grid: SE725251
Mapcode National: GBR QT4G.L0
Mapcode Global: WHFDC.3TX6
Plus Code: 9C5XP39X+48
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 14 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164859
Location: Airmyn, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Airmyn
Built-Up Area: Airmyn
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Airmyn St David
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
AIRMYN HIGH STREET
SE 72 NW
(east side, off)
1/3 Church of St David
Parish church. Nave dated on tablet to 1676; alterations of 1858 included
re-roofing, new bellcote and west porch; chancel and organ chamber of 1884.
Red brick with ashlar dressings; rendered plinth to nave. Westmorland slate
roof. 2-bay nave with west porch, vestry adjoining north side, single-bay
chancel with organ chamber adjoining south side. Original moulded brick
plinth to nave now largely obscured by concrete render; later plinth to
vestry. Nave, south side: 3 windows with C19 wooden Y-tracery, blocked
Tudor-arched door to right, C19 corbelled ashlar cornice; 2 north windows,
re-opened in C19. West side has single lancets flanking porch, 2-course
brick band at eaves level, projecting central section with carved ashlar
tablet bearing date and arms of Smithsons of Stanwick, stone-coped gable
with shaped kneelers, bellcote with pair of pointed bell openings and
pierced quatrefoil beneath pointed arch and coped gable with pinnacle.
Single-storey porch has south entrance with 2-fold Gothic-panelled door, 2-
light Y-traceried west window beneath stone-coped gable. Vestry: similar
door to west and window to north beneath stone-coped gable. All openings to
nave, porch and vestry have Tudor arches and brick surrounds. Ashlar
trefoiled lancet to chancel and organ chamber; re-set pointed 3-light ashlar
traceried east window of 1857. Interior. Pointed chancel arch with roll-
mouldings on twin-shafted responds with foliate capitals; open roofs to nave
and chancel with trusses on moulded ashlar corbels. Monuments: white marble
floor slab at east end of nave to Samuel and Betty Birt of c1773; wall
tablets in nave to Judith Fisher of 1773, to Rev John Umpleby of c1839 with
inscribed sarcophagus, to Sarah and Octavia Umpleby with tablet bearing
miniature sarcophagus, to Peter Wells of 1845 with tablet bearing broken
columns, to William Wells of 1854 with pilastered surround and moulded
pediment; wall tablets in chancel to William Wells of c1825 with draped urn,
to Louisa Anne Wells of 1848 with carved cornice and relief panel with dove.
Stained glass to nave and chancel north and south windows by Powell Brothers
of Leeds 1896-1902. Painted Royal Arms over west door. N Pevsner, The
Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1959, p 74. D Galloway,
Airmyn in Days Gone By, Vol 2, 1985, pp 3-8.
Listing NGR: SE7258025161
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings