This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0279 / 52°1'40"N
Longitude: 0.0375 / 0°2'14"E
OS Eastings: 539881
OS Northings: 238572
OS Grid: TL398385
Mapcode National: GBR L99.Y08
Mapcode Global: VHHL0.L9P7
Plus Code: 9F4222HP+5X
Entry Name: Barley United Reform Church
Listing Date: 3 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162549
Location: Barley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Barley
Built-Up Area: Barley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BARLEY HIGH STREET
TL 3938 (West side)
7/93 Barley United Reform Church
Former Baptist Chapel, Congregationalist since 1889, now redundant.
'Erected 1841' on datestone. By W. Savell, Builder. Red brick with white
brick facade. White and black brick and stone dressings. Slate roof.
Rectangular on plan. 3 window front with 4 window returns. Gable front
has central entrance in a projecting porch, recessed double panelled
doors with stone lintel. Chamfered plinth, recessed panels in jambs,
upper plat band and simple cornice to flat head. Small lattice lights
with segmental heads in porch returns. Flanking are 2 light lattice
windows with segmental heads. Above 3 tall Y traceried lattice light
round headed windows in round headed gauged brick relieving arches.
Datestone to centre. Pilaster strips with recessed panels at ends.
Brick kneelers to gable parapet with moulded brick coping. Returns
have plain plinths, 4 tall Y traceried lattice light round headed
windows with white brick inside round headed gauged brick relieving
arches. Projecting brick course below boxed eaves. To rear a low
school-room outshut with 3 round headed Y traceried windows, above
each a parapetted gable, white brick stack on ridge to left. Above on
main block are 4 blind round headed openings with white brick surrounds
inside relieving arches, kneelers to brick coped gable parapet.
Interior: narthex is panelled with depressed pointed arches over outer
doors, stairs to sides with winders to gallery with original seating,
box pews to centre. C19 seating in main hall, panelled dado. At far
end steps up with slat balusters and moulded handrail to central organ
and panelled reading desk with a canted front, brackets to reading
board. Gallery has fielded panelled frontal and rests on 2 octagonal
uprights with moulded caps. Affixed to front wall is a stone memorial
with epitaph. (J. Wilkerson, Two Ears of Barley, 1969).
Listing NGR: TL3988138572
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings