This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.821 / 51°49'15"N
Longitude: 0.0582 / 0°3'29"E
OS Eastings: 541949
OS Northings: 215601
OS Grid: TL419156
Mapcode National: GBR LCV.X2N
Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.YHLC
Plus Code: 9F32R3C5+C7
Entry Name: Goddards
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347681
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160026
Location: Widford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Widford
Built-Up Area: Widford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Widford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4115 WIDFORD HUNSDON ROAD
House. 1725-50 period with 1899 NE wing and light 1 storey
extension to S in 1960 behind a screen wall (RCHM Typescript).
Red brick with blue headers and lighter red dressings in older
part. Parts of service wing to N timberframed and roughcast at
rear. Plum brick facing to rear. Old red tile roof, half hipped
covers the square older block in one span. Red tiled mansard
roof to 1899 extension. The main house has a 4 room double pile
plan with central narrow entrance hall and wider stair hall to
rear. 2 storey and attic it has a symmetrical 5 window front
with moulded brick floor band, segmental rubbed brick arches and
boxed eaves. Sash windows in heavily moulded flush frames,
lacking glazing bars. Old rainwater pipes of box section.
Central 6-panel raised and fielded door with top panels glazed.
Moulded doorcase with square open porch, of slender Tuscan
columns on high pedestals, with full entablature and trianguar
pediment. 2 storeys, 2 windows 1899 extension with matching
windows and a dormer. Central rear doorway has a 6-panel flush
beaded door and a fine early C18 moulded flat hood breaking
forward over a richly carved console brackets. The house has
gable chimneys and good panelled interiors, with moulded cornices
and dado rail on the Ground Floor. The name associated with the
site refers to William Goddard mentioned in 1294. In the early
C19 it was the Young Gentlewomen's Academy run by Elizabeth and
Jane Norris visited frequently by Charles Lamb and described by
Mary Lamb in Mrs Leicesters School (HLHS (1979) 55). A
contemporary wrote of the late C19 owner Charles Nelson Treen
that he "replaced the dear old small glazed windows with vulgar
plate glass" (ibid 48). An historic early C18 brick house with
literary associations. Part of a varied group in this part of
the Conservation Area.
Listing NGR: TL4194915601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings