History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Valiant Trooper Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldbury, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8002 / 51°48'0"N

Longitude: -0.603 / 0°36'10"W

OS Eastings: 496425

OS Northings: 212207

OS Grid: SP964122

Mapcode National: GBR F4Q.4CH

Mapcode Global: VHFRX.H0KS

Entry Name: The Valiant Trooper Public House

Listing Date: 4 April 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355666

Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Aldbury

Built-Up Area: Aldbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Listing Text

ALDBURY TROOPER ROAD
SP 9612
(East side)
12/29 The Valiant Trooper PH
4.4.74
GV II
House, now a public house for 2 centuries. C16 origin as a cruck framed
building, heightened and extended in C17, S half of 2 storeys part
projecting rear and brick fronted with 'ID 1769' and 'MD 1769' cut in
the front. Long C19 low stable wing attached to N end extending E,
converted to pub accommodation with glazed lean-to link at NW in 1980's.
Timber frame roughcast N part with black stucco plinth, chequered red
and black brick front and red brick to rear projection of S part and
front of single-storey S end with matching shallower C20 S toilet
extension. Steep old red tile roofs. Plum brick N stable range with
plastered W part and hipped slate roof. Red tilehanging to S gable of 2
storeys part. A 2 storeys and attic, 2 windows long building with
single-storey S wing, facing W on the bend in Trooper Road. 3-light,
small-pane, casement windows with Yorkshire sliding casement to N part
ground floor, and segmental arch to S part ground floor. A 3-light
casement window and 4-panel, half-glazed door to low S wing. Large axial
external N gable chimney. Small internal S gable chimney, and S gable
chimney to S wing. Interior has exposed timbers, chamfered axial beams,
large open fireplace with oven at N gable, clasped-purlin roof, and a
diagonal corner fireplace served by the S gable chimney. The recent
removal of a similar fireplace at the SE corner of the projecting rear
part revealed the lower part of a cruck blade in the gable wall, the
upper part of which has not been exposed. Called The Trooper Alehouse up
to c.1890. (Davis (1980) No.24).


Listing NGR: SP9642512207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.