This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7767 / 51°46'36"N
Longitude: -0.073 / 0°4'22"W
OS Eastings: 533042
OS Northings: 210424
OS Grid: TL330104
Mapcode National: GBR KBY.DCZ
Mapcode Global: VHGPN.PL8V
Entry Name: Brickendon Bury
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160644
Location: Brickendon Liberty, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Brickendon Liberty
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bayford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 31 SW BRICKENDON LIBERTY BRICKENDON LANE
1/37 Brickendon Bury
Country house, now laboratories and offices. Early C18 for Thomas Clarke
on moated site. Rear S and E parts c.1760 for Morgan family. Alterations
and W service wing early C19 for William Dent. Alterations and central
tower 1885-6 for Charles Grey Hill and probably the free-standing porte
couchere. Modernised for George Pearson in 1890's and extensively altered
and extended c.1909 for Sir Edward Pearson, civil engineer (upper parts
of W end S fronts and Jacobean Room). By 1919 the estate has its own
electric generator, telephone, central heating and fire station. Used as
prep school when in 1939 became HQ of Special Operations Executive
(Europe) and visited by Sir Winston Churchill. After war HQ National
Agricultural Advisory Service up to late 1960's. Purchased 1971 by
present owners Malaysian Rubber Producers Research Association. Original
house red brick with stone quoins and giant order pilasters to front,
now brickwork stuccoed and all extensions. Bath stone porte couchere.
Slate hanging to gabled dormers on E and half timbering on S. 3
parallel-ridged slate roofs. 2-storeys and attics house set in parkland
on ancient moated site facing North with long avenue extending to
Hertford on main axis. 9-windows N front has windows 2:1:3:1:2 with
taller Corinthian pilasters, and higher cornice to middle bay, carrying
a triangular pediment with circular window. Balustrade and parapet with
dies over entablature of outer bays are a later addition. 1st floor band
and rusticated quoins. Tall, slightly recessed box sashes with 6/6 panes
on 1st floor and 9/1 on ground floor. Central small timber porch links
to single-storey 3-bays stone arcaded Doric porte couchere on axis.
Lower 2-storeys parapeted service wing set back on W, and tall square
stucco tower with balustrade and arched chimneys central on each side,
S-front 9 windows long with sashed wide dormers, central canted bay and
Tuscan stone colonnade or loggia along whole front. Blind boxes to 1st
floor 6/1 panes sash windows. French windows to ground floor. Interior
has 2-storeys entrance hall with gallery, 4 rooms with gilt plaster
decoration to walls cornices and decorative plaster ceilings in Adam
style. Fine moulded mahogany 6-panels doors and staircase (renewed).
(VCH (1912)409: Kelly (1914)135: Pevsner (1977)110: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3304210424
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings