History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cumberland Lodge at Entrance to East Drive to Gilston Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Gilston, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7979 / 51°47'52"N

Longitude: 0.0934 / 0°5'36"E

OS Eastings: 544455

OS Northings: 213096

OS Grid: TL444130

Mapcode National: GBR LD9.6GJ

Mapcode Global: VHHM6.K2RL

Entry Name: Cumberland Lodge at Entrance to East Drive to Gilston Park

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348006

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159915

Location: Gilston, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM20

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Gilston

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Gilston with Eastwick

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

TL 41 SW GILSTON GILSTON LANE
(west side)

2/41 Cumberland Lodge
at entrance to E
- drive to Gilston Park

- II

Lodge. '1855' in quatrefoil datestone on W gable. For John
Hodgson of Gilston Park presumably by P C Hardwick who built the
main house for Hodgson in 1852. Coursed limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings similar to Gilston Park and unusual in
Hertfordshire. Steep slate roofs and slate slabs as roof over
bay window. Arcaded wooden porch. Moulded dripmould with carved
leaf terminals over bay window similar to that over new S door of
parish church restored by P C Hardwick in 1852. An ornate Tudor
style single storey gate lodge facing N onto the drive. Main
range E-W with 2 gabled wings of different projection to S.
Central gabled projection on N with large canted bay window
commanding the drive, 2-bay Gothic timber porch in angle on E,
and heavy cusped bargeboards with carved roundels near lower
edge. E gable to road has coat of arms. 2- and 3-light square-
headed windows with cast iron diamond lattice casements.
Bargeboards each vary in decoration. An interesting ornamental
Tudor gate lodge of 1855 presumably by P C Hardwick as part of
his work on the Gilston Park Estate. The main seat of the
Hodgson family was at Bowness in Cumberland, hence the name of
the lodge to differentiate it from the older South Lodge in
Eastwick parish.


Listing NGR: TL4445513096

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.