History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elmtree Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7971 / 51°47'49"N

Longitude: -0.4663 / 0°27'58"W

OS Eastings: 505862

OS Northings: 212056

OS Grid: TL058120

Mapcode National: GBR G67.8Y1

Mapcode Global: VHFRZ.V3V4

Plus Code: 9C3XQGWM+VF

Entry Name: Elmtree Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157876

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP2

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 01 SE
(South side)
4/97 Elmtree Farmhouse
- II

Farmhouse. Early C17 middle part, early C18 N crosswing, C18 S end and
front porch, C19 alterations and bay window to crosswing. Timber frame,
red brick infill and casing exposed at rear, the rest roughcast. Steep
old red tile roofs. A long 2-storeys and cellar building, set back from
road, facing E, with gabled N crosswing, wide projecting 2-storeys
gabled porch, and large internal chimney rising through rear slope of
roof with toothed and corbelled head and angular side pilaster. Open
porch with flush box sash window over with 6/6 panes. Similar window to
1st floor of crosswing with deep canted flat-topped bay window below
with 6/6 panes to each sash window. Triple sashes to each floor to RH of
porch, 2 similar windows but with hinged side-casements to LH over
3-light casement and panelled door with gabled hood on shaped brackets
into kitchen end. Later chimneys at S gable, N side of crosswing, and NW
corner of front porch block. Interior shows original arrangement was of
a 2-cell, central-chimney, lobby entrance plan with chimney set towards
back wall to allow space for stair in entrance lobby, ovolo-moulded
axial beam in hall (to S of stack) dates to 1600-1640. Much of parlour
(to N of stack) taken up by fine early C18 staircase built behind stack
when new N parlour wing added. Staircase has cut string with scrolls to
ends of treads, each with 2 turned balusters, and moulded handrail with
2 wreaths at bottom. Chamfered axial beams to C18 parts at each end.
(RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0584912083

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.