History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lock No 46 and Adjoining Bridge No 137 on Grand Union Canal

A Grade II Listed Building in Northchurch, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7834 / 51°47'0"N

Longitude: -0.6119 / 0°36'42"W

OS Eastings: 495849

OS Northings: 210325

OS Grid: SP958103

Mapcode National: GBR F4X.243

Mapcode Global: VHFRX.BFVQ

Plus Code: 9C3XQ9MQ+96

Entry Name: Lock No 46 and Adjoining Bridge No 137 on Grand Union Canal

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157748

Location: Northchurch, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Northchurch

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Northchurch

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Tring

Description

NORTHCHURCH COW ROAST
SP 91 SE
1/218 Lock No. 46,
- and adjoining
Bridge No. 137 on
Grand Union Canal

GV II

Adjoining canal lock, and road bridge over canal. Lock c.1799 as part of
the Grand Junction Canal (became Grand Union by amalgamation 1929).
Dates on gate hinge plates, 1874 on lower gate, 1896 on upper gate.
Bridge contemporary, deck changed from timber to concrete on original
wrought iron girders between 1893 and 1914. Lock of buff brick with
heavy stone edgings to lock. Timber gates with timber balance beams on
upper gates but metal beams on lower gates. Lock 88ft by 16ft to
accommodate narrow-boats in pairs. 5 old wooden bollards. Upper gates
have both gate and ground paddles: lower gates have gate paddles only.
Similar brick to bridge, close to lower gates with quadrant brick steps
between. Brick parapets over projecting band with pilaster and pier each
side of 14ft span. Cambered wrought iron built-up girders with diagonal
tie-rod below deck. Hollow moulded stone impost band to abutments and
rounded cast-iron corner protectors on towpath (N) side. Open ironwork
balustrades of hooped iron railings with 3 heavy hooped iron standards
with serpentine infill. (Branch Johnson (1970)118-20: W Branch Johnson:
Ind. Surv. of Herts. 1964-6 ref.2840 at County Planning Dept., Hertford:
inf.BMB Watford).


Listing NGR: SP9584910324

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.