This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2456 / 52°14'44"N
Longitude: -2.0157 / 2°0'56"W
OS Eastings: 399024
OS Northings: 260824
OS Grid: SO990608
Mapcode National: GBR 2H5.17M
Mapcode Global: VHB00.0TQD
Entry Name: Middle Beanhall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 April 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 156512
Location: Feckenham, Redditch, Worcestershire, B96
Civil Parish: Feckenham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Feckenham St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
REDDITCH B CHURCH ROAD (east side)
SO 96 SE Bradley Green
3/36 Middle Beanhall Farmhouse
Farmhouse, now house. Early C16, altered 1635, mid-C18, mid-C19 and mid-C20.
Timber-framed, painted brick and rendered infill on sandstone base, brick
replacement walling and additions, plain tiled roofs. Four framed bays and
cross-passage bay aligned roughly north/south; large external sandstone
chimneys to rear north-east and south gable end, former has three tall Cl7
star-shaped stacks with joint cap and the latter a large C18 brick stack;
framed porch wing to west front elevation added in c1635 when west front
was altered. Two storeys, attic and cellar. Framing: mainly close-set
vertical studding (two rows per storey); south service bay has three and
four rows of square panels except for first floor of west front; north
end of west front has jettied first floor on consoles; above are four attic
gables (added c1635 for a fashionable galleried effect) and which have
decorative concave lozenge panels; the porch wing has herringbone panels
above first floor level; collar and tie-beam trusses with struts throughout.
West front elevation: the jettied part left of the porch has two ground
floor 4-light casements and a 3-light and a 4-light first floor casement;
the windows in the attic "gallery" have been blocked now that this is no
longer used; the attic gables have decoratively carved bargeboards and pendant
finials; at the far left is a door with six raised and fielded panels; the
service bay to the right of the porch wing has a 3-light ground floor casement
with plank weathering and a 2-light and a 4-light first floor casement;
the porch wing has a small C19 canted bay window with moulded cornice to the
right of the ground floor and a 2-light first floor casement with a plank
weathering; left of the bay window is an open passageway to the C20 main
entrance door, and on the right side of the passageway is an original bench
with turned legs. At the right side of the porch wing is a C19 lean-to and
a tall brick stack. Interior: two first floor rooms have Jacobean oak panel-
ling one room of which also has an arcaded chimneypiece and a decoratively
carved frieze. C19 wing at north gable end; C19 and C20 additions at rear.
The extreme south end of the original building was a smoke bay which was
later incorproated into the service bay. The date of the Cl7 alterations
is inscribed on a rainwater hopper head at the centre of the attic "gallery".
(VCH 3(i), p 111-2; BoE, p 95; FWB & Mary Charles, Conservation of Timber
Buildings, 1984, p 100 and 234-5).
Listing NGR: SO9902460824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings