History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priory Gatehouse, Including East Bay of Gatehouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lower Allithwaite, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2011 / 54°12'3"N

Longitude: -2.9546 / 2°57'16"W

OS Eastings: 337822

OS Northings: 478788

OS Grid: SD378787

Mapcode National: GBR 7MTV.4S

Mapcode Global: WH83C.LN7R

Entry Name: Priory Gatehouse, Including East Bay of Gatehouse

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348693

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77006

Location: Lower Allithwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Lower Allithwaite

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Cartmel St Mary and St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Cartmel

Listing Text

LOWER ALLITHWAITE THE SQUARE
SD 3778
(North side) Cartmel
8/92 Priory Gatehouse,
25.3.70 including east bay of
Gatehouse (q.v.)
II*
Former Priory gatehouse, now exhibition hall, part incorporated into Gatehouse
(q.v.). Probably C14, converted to school 1624 (date of gable-end windows).
Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 4-storey rectangular
structure with stair turret to east and vaulted passage to Cavendish St. South
facade has chamfered archway and top frieze. To left of archway a. small-paned
bow window with small-paned casement to 1st floor, part of cottage. 2nd floor
has 2-light single-chamfered-mullioned window with cusped pointed heads. Niche
over archway has straight head and moulded surround. North facade has 2-light
window as above but with transom, and 3 slots. Returns have cusped lights,
gables have 4-light single chamfered mullioned windows with 2 upper lights over
transoms, that to east is C20 reconstruction. Passage way has groin vault to
south, tunnel vault to north. West side of passage has 2 entrances, one with
ogee head; large window to left has small-paned fixed glazing with opening
light. East side has entrance to exhibition hall. Interior: Winding stair
round rubble newel to 2nd and 3rd floors, the 3rd floor removed with entrance
and wide ledge in thickness of wall remaining. Collar rafter roof, some lower
collars. 2nd floor entrance has ogee head with 6-panel door; niche to left has
cusped ogee head. 2-light windows have window seats. North side has store in
thickness of wall with wide-boarded door. West side has fireplace with elements
of medieval masonry including corbel heads; entrance to small room to left has
2-fielded-panel door. The Gatehouse is the only secular building of Cartmel
priory to remain; it was used as a school 1624-1790. Property of the National
Trust.


Listing NGR: SD3782178789

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.