History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II Listed Building in Ewyas Harold, Hereford, County of Herefordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9539 / 51°57'14"N

Longitude: -2.8924 / 2°53'32"W

OS Eastings: 338767

OS Northings: 228754

OS Grid: SO387287

Mapcode National: GBR FB.M54T

Mapcode Global: VH78P.T48Z

Plus Code: 9C3VX435+H2

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155539

Location: Ewyas Harold, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ewyas Harold

Built-Up Area: Ewyas Harold

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ewyas Harold and Dulas

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Ewyas Harold

Listing Text

SO 32 NE
4/5 Church of St Michael
and All Angels

Parish Church. Mid-C13 west tower restored in 1899; c1300 chancel but
extensively altered, nave and chancel arch rebuilt and south porch and
north vestry added in 1868 by G C Hadley. Sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings, C20 tiled roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel
with north vestry. Mid-C13 West tower of three stages on splayed plinth
with moulded capping, pyramidal roof and string course at upper stage;
staircase extension to south-west; 3-light window to vestry with detached
shafts to jambs and to mullions and moulded capitals and bases, similar
shafts to the outer order; similar 2-light windows with plain chamfered
outer order to east and north sides. Small light possibly originally with
trefoiled-head, and larger 2-light window with pierced 2-centred head and
chamfered label below. Two centred-arched head to doorway on ground floor
to south; continuous chamfer to outer order with moulded stops and inner
chamfered order springing from semi-circular responds with moulded capitals
and 'water holding' bases. The capping of the plinth continues over the
doorway as a label; loop vents to stair extension to left of doorway. There
are no openings to the west side of the tower. C19 Nave one single lancet
to left and two 2-light windows with quatrefoil in roundel above to right
of doorway; gabled C19 timber-framed porch, inner 2-centred arched head to
doorway with moulded outer order. Chancel C13 lancets flank restored early
C14 central window with 2-centred arched head; two trefoil headed lights
with quatrefoil above. C19 east window of 3 lights with central roundel
and cinquefoil, all under a decorative slightly projecting gable. Interior:
C19 tower and chancel arches, repaired and considerably restored possibly
C14 trussed rafter roof to nave and chancel. Monument in north wall of
chancel; early C14 recess with moulded segmental pointed arch, attached
shafts to jambs and decorative cusping. Effigy of reclining female figure
in contemporary C14 dress with draped head-dress and wimple and clasping
an object (possibly a heart), her feet rest on a crouching lion(?). Reputed
to be that of Lady Clarissa, daughter of John Tregor, Lord of Ewias, died
1290. Fittings fragments of C17 pulpit, 2 sides section C19 base, carved
panels with interlacing folial motif. Fragments of C18 dado panelling in
chancel, some pieces with decorative detail. (RCHM Vol I, p 62; BoE p 128.)

Listing NGR: SO3876728754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.