History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifford, Herefordshire,

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0985 / 52°5'54"N

Longitude: -3.0941 / 3°5'38"W

OS Eastings: 325149

OS Northings: 245025

OS Grid: SO251450

Mapcode National: GBR F2.9WPM

Mapcode Global: VH77T.BJ44

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348871

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153650

Location: Clifford, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: Herefordshire,

Civil Parish: Clifford

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Clifford

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/29 Church of St Mary


Parish church. C12, c1300 and C18, restored 1839 and 1888. The 1888 work
by Ewan Christian. Sandstone rubble with some tufa, tile roof. Chancel
and nave c1300, west tower C18, north aisle, north porch and organ chamber
1888. West tower: 3 stages on battered plinth with 2 plain string courses
and a crenellated parapet (added in 1888 ?). C19 west door in ground stage,
first stage has lancets, with circular clock recess in west side; second
stage: 2 semi-circular-headed windows to each side, each of which is an
enlarged oculus. Nave: south wall: 3 windows, the two to the east much
restored in late C19, c1300 in style with two 2-centred-headed lights,
western window late C19 with 2 trefoiled lights under square head with
label, above the segmental headed blocked south door; C19 plain buttresses;
wall-plate moulded early C16. North aisle: entirely of 1888 with 2 windows
to east of timber north porch of 3- and 2-trefoiled lights under square
heads, to east of this gabled organ chamber with Decorated style window of
2 ogee trefoiled lights. Chancel: south wall: 2 restored lancets of c1300.
Late C19 buttresses; to west of windows a low, blocked, priest's door with
flat lintel; east wall rebuilt C19 with Decorated style window of 3 ogee
trefoiled lights under 2-centred head with label; north wall: restored
Decorated window of 2 ogee trefoiled lights under 2-centred head.
Interior: chancel: C12 recess in north wall with tufa dressings, semi-
circular head, probably reset; the splays of the east window in the south
wall might be C12; C19, 2-centred arch to organ chamber in north wall;
have: 3-bay timber arcade to north aisle, built 1888; division with chancel
defined by arch braced tie-beam with tracery in spandrels and close-studding
above and by late C19 wooden screen; tower arch C19 with 2-centred head and
early C20 wooden partition as infill. Roofs: all early C16, chancel: 4 bays
with arch braced collar beams, moulded tie-beams to central and west truss;
nave: common rafter roof all couples with arch braced collars; formerly ceiled,
2 moulded tie-beams and moulded wall-plate. Fittings: font has probably C14
octagonal bowl on C19 stem. Late C13 wooden effigy of recumbent priest in
the recess in chancel. Two neo-classical wall monuments in chancel with
weeping maidens over inscription panel: Thomas Stallard Penoyre, died 1821,
by Reeves & Son of Bath, and Francis Rigby Broadbelt Stallard Penoyre, died
1827, by Bacon of London. (RCHM 1, p 38; BoE pp 101/102).

Listing NGR: SO2514945025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.