History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Faith

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dorstone, Herefordshire,

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0703 / 52°4'13"N

Longitude: -3.0013 / 3°0'4"W

OS Eastings: 331460

OS Northings: 241797

OS Grid: SO314417

Mapcode National: GBR F6.CN56

Mapcode Global: VH781.X7P8

Entry Name: Church of St Faith

Listing Date: 16 January 1967

Last Amended: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153749

Location: Dorstone, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: Herefordshire,

Civil Parish: Dorstone

Built-Up Area: Dorstone

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorstone

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Dorstone

Listing Text

SO 34 SW DORSTONE CP B 4348 (south side)
Dorstone

6/128 Church of St Faith


26/1/67
GV II*


Parish church. Rebuilt 1826 and 1889 embodying fragments of the medieval
church. Coursed rubble, tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel,
north chapel. All medieval features are more or less restored, West tower:
pyramidal roof, 3 stages, plain parapet, angle buttresses, lean-to stair
turret at south-east corner; second stage blind; first stage has square
headed single lights to north and south walls, quatrefoil window to west;
ground floor, west wall: 2 trefoiled lights. Nave: south wall: two 2-
trefoiled light windows with quatrefoils above, under 2-centred heads, to
west of which timber south porch, south door: early C14 of 2 orders, 2-centred
head; north wall: 3 similar windows. Chancel: south wall: 2 windows with
2 trefoiled lights; east window: 4 trefoiled lights under centred head;
north chapel: door to left, 2 trefoiled light window to right; west wall:
C13 lancet. Interior: chancel: 2 pointed arches to north chapel, containing
organ; in north chapel an early C14 piscina with trefoiled ogee head; in
south wall of chancel a C13 piscina with arch of 2 orders, inner a sub-
cusped cinquefoil, at back of recess bracket with dog tooth ornament;
chancel arch of 2 moulded orders with stopped label; tower arch, early C14
of tufa, 2-centred, 2 chamfered orders, inner order dying into the responds;
lancet above. Roofs: nave: rafter roof with collar braced from below, the
braces intersecting above the collar in scissors, canted ashlar pieces;
chancel: ribbed barrel vault in timber. Fittings: late C19 pulpit of lime-
stone and red marble with statues of the 4 evangelists. Stoup, possibly
C14, beside south door. Font: c1300 octagonal shaft and base, C19 bowl.
Loose in chancel two pieces of an inscribed stone sill, probably dated
1266. (RCHM 1, pp 55-57; BoE, p 116).


Listing NGR: SO3146041797

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.