This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1034 / 52°6'12"N
Longitude: -3.1032 / 3°6'11"W
OS Eastings: 324536
OS Northings: 245584
OS Grid: SO245455
Mapcode National: GBR F2.9LWQ
Mapcode Global: VH77T.5DBC
Entry Name: Lower Court
Listing Date: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348895
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153689
Location: Clifford, County of Herefordshire, HR3
Civil Parish: Clifford
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Clifford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 24 NW CLIFFORD CP A 438 (east side)
1/68 Lower Court
Farmhouse. C14 with C18, mid-C19 and C20 additions and alterations.
Coursed rubble partially encasing remnants of timber-frame, hipped tile
roof. C14 house remains as T-plan, probable hall range of 4 bays aligned
north-east/south-west, cross-wing at south-west end of 3 bays; early C18
range of one room width added to north-west of hall range; site of north-
east cross-wing occupied by gabled range probably early C18, former cow-
houses on ground floor. Main stack on former external north-west wall of
hall. Garden front: two storeys, hipped roof with central gable, irregular
fenestration, 5 windows to main part: 2 to left flat stone heads over timber
cross casements; central 3-light casement under gable with brick segmental
head, single light casement and timber cross casement to right, both under
segmental heads. Ground floor: to left C20 square bay window and door
under lean-to canopy, to right C20 square bay window, to extreme right
2-light casement under segmental head; to left of main part set-back gabled
cross-wing with sliding doors to garage, to right of which main entry to
house, separated from rest of front by garden wall (not included). To left
of door a stone bearing graffiti: "I L G ", perhaps reset.
North-east elevation shows side of cross-wing with lofts over former cow-
houses; upper floor timber-framed, 2 square panels high with brick infill,
3 loft entries; ground floor of rubble with 3 entrances. Rear elevation
contains some exposed large square framing and a gable truss with queen
struts to collar. Interior: roof of hall range visible in roof space has
intermediate trusses with arch braces to collars, V-struts above, the centre
above the V a quatrefoil, the other areas trefoils. Two purlins moulded,
two levels of cusped wind braces. End trusses have collars and queen struts,
retaining wattle-and-daub infill. Cross-wing has simpler roof, with one set
of cusped wind braces, intermediate trusses not visible. First floor of
cross-wing extant. Perhaps late C14/early C15, as opposed to mid-C14 hall.
In the south-west wall of a barn about 20 metres south-east of the house is
set a stone carved in low relief with an interlace pattern, possibly C10 or
Cll (not included). (RCHM 1, p 41 (no 16), plate 9).
Listing NGR: SO2453145584
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings