This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1557 / 52°9'20"N
Longitude: -2.8892 / 2°53'21"W
OS Eastings: 339263
OS Northings: 251194
OS Grid: SO392511
Mapcode National: GBR FB.6CZF
Mapcode Global: VH77Q.V2YS
Entry Name: The Ley
Listing Date: 20 February 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149872
Location: Weobley, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Weobley
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Weobley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 35 SE WEOBLEY CP -
6/90 The Ley
House, now two houses. 1589 for James Bridges, with some late C19 and
late C20 restoration. Timber-frame with rendered infill on a doursed
rubble plinth under a graduated stone tile roof. H-plan, main range
aligned east/west. Lateral stack to rear (south) wall of main range and
east wall of eastern cross-wing. They are both of rubble with C19 brick
shafts. North front of two storeys with projecting gabled cross-wings,
each with two-storey square bay windows. The central range has a similar
window. There is a two-storey gabled porch in the angle with the right-hand
cross-wing. The left-hand cross-wing has a 5-light mullion and transom
window on each storey with a gable above. This has a projecting tie-beam
and enriched bargeboards. The central bay window has a 5-light mullion
and transom window to each floor. The gable has enriched bargeboards
and decorated plaster panels. At the back of this bay a gabled dormer rises
from the main roof with bargeboards and scroll brackets. The two-storey
porch has moulded framing and scroll brackets supporting the jettied first
floor. This has a 3-light mullion and transom window. The gable has
moulded bargeboards and a pendant. The doorway has a flat triangular
head with two carved panels above bearing a shield of arms, with the initials
"I B" on one, and the words "In Dei nomine" with date 1589 on the other.
The inner doorway has a moulded frame and a panelled door under a 3-pane
overlight. The right-hand cross-wing has a 5-light mullion and transom
window to each floor. The gable of the window has moulded bargeboards.
Framing: mainly six square panels high surmounted by a narrow band of
close-studding. The left-hand cross-wing has straight angle braces to the
ground floor below straight tension braces on the first floor. The cross-
wing gables each have two collars with between them two square panels with
quadrant braces. Interior not inspected, but reported to have exposed moulded
ceiling beams and some remnants of panelling. (RCHM, 3, p 196-7, no 8; BoE, p 314).
Listing NGR: SO3926351194
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings