History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

35, Regent Parade

A Grade II Listed Building in High Harrogate, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9979 / 53°59'52"N

Longitude: -1.5302 / 1°31'48"W

OS Eastings: 430894

OS Northings: 455861

OS Grid: SE308558

Mapcode National: GBR KQR6.HM

Mapcode Global: WHC8F.GSK1

Entry Name: 35, Regent Parade

Listing Date: 22 May 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350368

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490178

Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Town: Harrogate

Electoral Ward/Division: High Harrogate

Built-Up Area: Harrogate

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: High Harrogate Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Harrogate

Listing Text


700/0/10044 REGENT PARADE
22-MAY-03 35

II

Hotel or lodging house, now and shop and flats. c. 1740, with late C19 and late C20 alterations and additions. Dressed rubble stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roof. Two gable chimney stacks, coped gables with kneelers. Three storey with prominent flush quoins.
Main forth-east front has C20 shop front on ground floor with canopy. Above three tall plain sashes in ashlar surrounds with moulded cornice. Top floor has three smaller plain sashes in plain ashlar surrounds.
Right return blank and rendered. Left return has a single sash window to either of the lower floors.
Rear facade has single windows on each floor to right, the lower windows to the left obscured by C20 two storey extension. Top floor windows all have C20 windows in original ashlar surrounds.
INTERIOR not inspected, but first floor windows have clearly visible eighteenth century panelled shutters.
This house was the childhood home of W P Frith the famous Victorian painter from 1826 to 1835 when he left for London.
Paganini, the world famous violinist, played a concert here in 1833 and probably also stayed over night.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.