This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8896 / 51°53'22"N
Longitude: 0.915 / 0°54'54"E
OS Eastings: 600690
OS Northings: 225242
OS Grid: TM006252
Mapcode National: GBR SN5.J4Z
Mapcode Global: VHKFZ.TR2T
Plus Code: 9F32VWQ8+R2
Entry Name: The Old Mill
Listing Date: 17 January 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489942
Location: Colchester, Essex, CO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Colchester
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Colchester St James and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
584/0/10055 EAST BAY
17-JAN-03 The Old Mill
Granary, subsequently mill for animal feed, store at time of inspection [November 2002]. Mid/late-C18 with C20 additions. Timber-framed and weatherboarded, on rebuilt brick plinth. Corrugated asbestos roof covering. Brick stack. Aligned E-W on west bank of river.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with loft. Loft door opening to West gable. C20 additions to East and South not of interest.
INTERIOR: Timber frame of Baltic pine, retaining primary bracing. Massive E-W chamfered spine beam supporting first floor with large oak hanging knees, both ends with finely worked stops. Incised assembly marks visible on spine beam (east end, north face) and on east gable construction in roof. Possible Baltic pine merchant's identification mark visible on tie-beam at first floor level. Roof with single purlins to each side, carried by brackets on the rafters, which are pegged at the apex. Collars have been cut-away. Rudimentary bolted scarf joint in wall plate. Re-used oak timbers throughout, especially in roof. East gable re-built in brick for C20 extension, and considerable interventions to south wall where C20 shed extends, but principle framing remains.
HISTORY: The building is identified on a watercolour of East Bridge dated c.1775 (Colchester Museum Collections) where it appears to be thatched, and is depicted as part of a 'Farm Yard' on Sparrow's Map of Colchester 1767. Interior formerly weatherboarded but removed mid-C20 when framing in-filled with brick and blockwork.
A small urban riverside agricultural building with much of its mid/late-C18 frame, including a massive stopped and chamfered spine beam of Baltic pine, and both group value and townscape value.
Other nearby listed buildings