This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6574 / 52°39'26"N
Longitude: -2.4452 / 2°26'42"W
OS Eastings: 369983
OS Northings: 306721
OS Grid: SJ699067
Mapcode National: GBR BY.5LRH
Mapcode Global: WH9D9.DGVM
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 8 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 362390
Location: Stirchley and Brookside, Telford and Wrekin, TF3
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Stirchley and Brookside
Built-Up Area: Telford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Central Telford
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
5362 Church Road
Church of St James
SJ 60NE 31/537
Small C18 brick church with C12 stone chancel.
The chancel has small round-headed north lancets and south window with Y-tracery.
The Georgian nave and west tower of red brick with stone dressings possibly
encases earlier masonry. Stone quoins and 2 round-headed south windows. West
tower has round-headed west doorway with window above, small round-headed bell
openings in later bell stage with pyramidal roof with finial and weathervane.
Circa early C19 north aisle in brick with round-headed windows.
Interior: fine Norman chancel arch with 2 orders of shafts with scalloped and foliage
capitals and 3 orders of arches with chain-links and zigzags.
C18 high box-pews, reader's desk and pulpit. Gallery in north aisle of 1838.
Listing NGR: SJ6998606719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings