This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4869 / 51°29'12"N
Longitude: -0.1698 / 0°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 527172
OS Northings: 178024
OS Grid: TQ271780
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.25
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.0WLJ
Plus Code: 9C3XFRPJ+Q3
Entry Name: 205-209, Kings Road
Listing Date: 2 April 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489722
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Royal Hospital
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints (Chelsea Old Church)
Church of England Diocese: London
249/0/10232 KING'S ROAD
205-209 (odd) King's Road
Corner block of three houses with shops below fronting onto the King's Road, with west-facing return to Oakley Street. C.1858, developed by Dr John Phene. Plum and yellow stock brick with stucco dressings. EXTERIORS: three storeys with attic. Five window front to the King's Road: Nos. 205 and 207 each of two windows in width, 209 with single wide window. Ground floors retain elements of 19th century shop fronts. First floor windows with moulded architraves, beneath hoods carried on consoles; second floor windows within moulded architraves, cast iron balconettes to No.207. Heavy modillion cornice. Attic windows set within square moulded architraves. Windows are mostly 2/2 pane sash windows with margin lights. Parapet pierced over windows with Italianate round-headed slots. Curved corner. Return to Oakley Street of three bays. Shop front continued round corner retains moulded window surrounds. Door, with overlight, set between Corinthian pilasters carrying an entablature. Channelled rusticated stucco to remainder of ground floor. Upper windows as per King's Road front, but right hand bay is blind, and attic storey architraves have lost their mouldings. Cornice and parapet as per King's Road front. INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORY: part of Dr John Phene's development of the former glebe lands of the parish of Chelsea, an ambitious scheme of Italianate terraces of which this corner block forms a prominent part, forming a group with Nos.1-11 (odd) Oakley Street.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings