This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1771 / 51°10'37"N
Longitude: -0.6015 / 0°36'5"W
OS Eastings: 497855
OS Northings: 142911
OS Grid: SU978429
Mapcode National: GBR FD8.4QP
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.JPC0
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 23 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291302
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Busbridge
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
In the entry for:
GODALMING BRIGHTON ROAD
23.2.70 Church of St John the
the grade shall be amended to read II* (star).
GODALMING BRIGHTON ROAD
SU 9742 (south west side),
Church of St John the
Church. 1865-7. By Gilbert Scott; builder James Moors; for John and Emma
Ramsden. Coursed squared Bargate stone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof;
shingle spire. Aligned north-west/south-east, liturgical east used in this
description. 4-bay nave with south porch and 'crossing' tower, lower 3-bay
chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. In Early English Gothic style.
Chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, sill string, raised verges with coping and
cross finials. Windows have quoined surrounds under hoodmoulds with decorative
stops. Nave: porch at west end is of timber-frame on stone plinth and has
painted archway with spandrels carved and initialled and flanking panels daubed
and decorated with Greek crosses in roundels, decorative bargeboards, cusped
open panels to side walls, internal stone benches and hoodmould to south door-
way; 2-light plate-traceried windows; eastern ('crossing') bay under tall gable
having paired, cusped windows with oculus over and broached wood-shingled spire
with louvred, cusped belfry openings and iron finial; west end has paired,
2-light plate-traceried windows each with cinquefoil in apex, and cinquefoiled
oculus to gable. Chancel: lancet windows; east window plate-traceried of 3
lights, each under foiled oculi, with gable slit; north vestry has shouldered-
arched door and window and projecting gabled bay on right with doorway down
steps and lancets. Interior: elaborate floral stops to hoodmoulds of chancel
windows, the archivolts corbelled. Moulded chancel arch, the inner arch
supported by colonettes on floral corbels and in the arch a fine, decorative,
wrought-iron screen of 1899 designed by Lutyens, made up by J Starkie Gardener,
incorporating figure of Christ on flowering cross with apostles' symbols below
and praying angels. Impressive timber roof structure with differing trusses and
cusped wind-braces in nave; tower supported on large-scantling timber posts with
decoratively-stopped chamfers; in chancel, floral corbels support arch-braces
rising to tie-beams, base of roof brattished and coved. Polished stone altar
rail and reredos with 3 central cusped panels. Brass plaque on north chancel
wall records building details. West window and chancel windows, designed by
Burne Jones and made up by Morris & Co, depict Christ and Saints; nave windows
by A R Nicholson. Original octagonal panelled stone pulpit with traceried top.
Square stone font, the traceried basin supported by colonnettes on moulded base.
C Sloan, St John the Baptist, Busbridge. A Brief Guide,
Listing NGR: SU9785542911
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings