This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9518 / 50°57'6"N
Longitude: 0.7345 / 0°44'4"E
OS Eastings: 592167
OS Northings: 120490
OS Grid: TQ921204
Mapcode National: GBR RZ1.6JS
Mapcode Global: FRA D6FL.G0K
Entry Name: The Monastery
Listing Date: 12 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291942
Location: Rye, Rother, East Sussex, TN31
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Rye
Built-Up Area: Rye
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Rye
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1578 CONDUIT HILL
TQ 9220 1/98 12.10.51.
This building is now a pottery. It is the remains of the Chapel of the Austin
Friary dating from about 1380. The walls are of stone rubble with stone
dressings. There are buttresses at the south west and north west angles.
In the south wall are 3 C14 windows containing 3 trefoil ogee-headed lights
and leaf tracery above. In the west wall is the pointed arch of a window
and in the east gable, which dates from the C16, a square-headed window containing
2 elliptically-arched lights. The windows in the north wall were inserted
in 1906. Scheduled as an AM.
Listing NGR: TQ9215720488
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings