This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8735 / 50°52'24"N
Longitude: 0.0121 / 0°0'43"E
OS Eastings: 541663
OS Northings: 110147
OS Grid: TQ416101
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.3W6
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.NHN
Plus Code: 9F22V2F6+9R
Entry Name: Lewes House
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293121
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St Thomas at Cliffe with Lewes All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET
10/139 (south side)
25.2.52 No 32 (Lewes House)
House, now council offices. Circa 1720 to rear with front block of circa
1810. Grey headers with red brick dressings. Doubled brick quoins and plain
parapet hiding roof; slate roofs with various end and rear brick stacks.
3 storeys; regular 5 window front, glazing bar sashes. Central entrance up
eight steps. Rusticated plastered entrance arch, panelled door and arched
overlight with octagonal lantern. Deep porch with Ionic columns and open
triangular pediment. Paved space either side of door with iron arrow-head
railed surround. Garden front: Early C18. Grey headers with red dressings,
and red brick central projection. Plain tiled hipped roof with tall ridge stack
to left. 2 storeys with plinth with roll-moulding, cornice-band and cornice to
parapet. Central pedimented projection. 2 bays to left of projection, 3 bays
on projection, the outer ones narrow, and 3 bays to right of projection, with
2 wide windows on ground-floor. Glazing bar sashes with gauged heads.
Central panelled door with cast-iron dog-gate; moulded blocked surround with
triple keystone supporting cornice moulding. 2-storey early C19 wing to left
projecting forward with hipped roof and central hipped projection. Half-glazed
door in round-arched surround to right. This wing, faced in knapped flints
to the west, ends in brick gate-pier to stable court. Interior: Committee
room: wide segmental arch recess with colonettes supporting surround.
Panelled fire-surround. Coved cornice. Hall: groin vault on brackets
with triglyph decoration. Screen to rear stair-hall with colonnade of attached
Doric order with triglyph and metope frieze. Registry: Wide segmental arch
recess at end with colonnettes supporting surround.Fireplace with doubled columns
supporting decorative mantel with swags and rustic scene. all panelling and
acanthus bracket cornice. Local land charges office: Bracketted cornice.
Marble fire-surround with fluted pilasters and eared and kneed overmantel,
flanked by pair of pier glasses in eared and kneed surrounds. Window shutters.
Staircase: 3-flight rectangular newel.Turned balusters with square knops and
fluted columnar newels. Ramped flat hand-rail and foot scroll. Greek key
decoration on string of landing. Bracketted cornice. Chief executive's
secretary's office: Eared fire-surround with bolection mould supporting mantel
shelf and eared and kneed overmantel with greek key decoration. Moulded
cornice. Chief executive's room: Eared fire-surround with dentilled mantel.
Electoral Registration office: Late C18 fire-surround with swags and central
panel of nymphs under mantel. District sectretary's office: Marble fire-
surround with dentilled mantel. More fireplaces on 2nd floor of north block.
Listing NGR: TQ4166310147
Other nearby listed buildings