History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hinton, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1685 / 52°10'6"N

Longitude: -1.2143 / 1°12'51"W

OS Eastings: 453836

OS Northings: 252543

OS Grid: SP538525

Mapcode National: GBR 8T4.5T9

Mapcode Global: VHCVQ.WRYG

Plus Code: 9C4W5Q9P+C7

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 18 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355036

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360629

Location: Woodford cum Membris, West Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Woodford cum Membris

Built-Up Area: Hinton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Woodford Halse St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Byfield

Description

WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS HINTON
SP5352
17/139 Manor House
18/09/53
GV II*
Manor house. Late C17. Ironstone ashlar, old tile roofs, brick and stone lateral
stacks. Incomplete H-plan. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 5-window range.
6-panel principal door with panelled reveals in moulded stone surround with
cornice and segmental pediment on carved stone console brackets, approached by 6
moulded stone steps with plain stone balustrading. Flanked by wood mullion and
transom windows with moulded stone sills and surrounds. Similar windows to first
floor, that over door blocked. Projecting 2-bay wing to right with chamfered
quoins and similar windows, that to first floor right blocked. Incomplete single
storey wing to left with lean-to slate roof with square blocked window with
simple moulded stone surround. Chamfered plinth, storey band, moulded and
bracketted wood eaves cornice, hipped roof. Large stone stack to inner side of
projecting wing with plain flue to front, twin blank arcades with round heads to
rear flue. Right side elevation of 4 windows has central 2-bay projection with
6-panel door with overlight to left approached from left by outside staircase
with moulded stone steps and plain wrought-iron balustrade. To right of door
tall window rising through ground and first floor lighting staircase. Door to
basement below with simple moulded stone surround and part-glazed plank door.
Narrow windows to return sides of projection. All windows on this side had
simple moulded stone surrounds with slate roof. Rear elevation has lean-to with
slate roof of one storey and attic of poorer masonry with plank door to left
with straight hood, 3-light basement window to right, 3-light casement window to
first floor with timber lintel and a roof dormer. Projecting wing to left of 2
bays with 15-pane sash window to first floor right windows, rest blocked.
Unfinished wing to right has chamfered quoins and portion of storey band to
match wing to left. Lateral stacks to inner side of projecting wings with blue
brick flues. Interior: open well staircase from ground floor to attic with
turned balusters. Bolection-moulded stone fireplaces to hall and other rooms,
and moulded stone doorcases. Begun c.1695 and never finished. Dates 1697 and
1699 are scratched in stonework of basement.


Listing NGR: SP5383652543

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.