This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0665 / 51°3'59"N
Longitude: -1.7976 / 1°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 414280
OS Northings: 129706
OS Grid: SU142297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2CB
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.KHX
Entry Name: The Matron's College
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319020
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Nos 39 to 46 (consec)
(The Matron's College)
SU 1429 NW 3/26 28.2.52.
Established by Seth Ward in 1682 and probably designed by Sir C Wren. 2 storey
range, red brick on projecting plinth with moulded capping. 1st floor string
and bold, moulded and bracketed cornice. Hipped old tile roof. Symmetrical
design with projecting flanking stone quoined wings, each with 2 light casements
and circular central attic dormer with scroll supports and ball finial. The
centre of main block has a pediment with cornice carried over, and sheild
of Royal Coat of Arms and supporting fruit swags in tympanum. Above pediment
an octagonal glazed lantern, lead roof. 12 2 light casements on 1st floor,
10 on ground floor, all with stone surrounds and mullions. Secondary doors
in architrave surrounds, frieze and cornice, at corners and central door in
architrave surround, projecting wooden hood with segmental pediment and panelled
soffit on double scroll carved brackets. All doors early C19 6 fielded panels.
Stone panel over central door with inscription in moulded frame with small
carved scrolls and swag ornament, supporting small bracketed cornice, all
resting on stone corbelling. The rear elevation has 5 gables. Chimney stacks
set diagonally and grouped.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1427429723
Other nearby listed buildings