This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8071 / 52°48'25"N
Longitude: -1.2909 / 1°17'27"W
OS Eastings: 447894
OS Northings: 323519
OS Grid: SK478235
Mapcode National: GBR 7HZ.4F5
Mapcode Global: WHDHH.4PJV
Entry Name: 53, Main Street
Listing Date: 5 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358235
Location: Long Whatton and Diseworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE12
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Long Whatton and Diseworth
Built-Up Area: Long Whatton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Long Whatton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
LONG WHATTON MAIN STREET
13/188 No 53
House. Mid C18 wing along street, with top storey added and fenestration altered
C19; rear wing is part C17 with C19 extension. Repair work 1986.
L-plan. Mid C18 wing is of red brick with irregular vitreous headers to lower
storeys. Rubble stone plinth, C19 off-set eaves, hipped roof of Swithland
slate, brick chimneys. 2 storeys; 3 bays to street. Right bay has 3-light
horizontal sashes. Left bays have similar 2-light windows to top storey, and
blocked windows below. All windows on this front have segmental arches of
header brick over brick tympana. Left end of wing has 2 bays of late C19-C20
sashes to ground and first floors, and one paired barred wooden casement to
second floor, all these windows with C19 painted heads of gauged brick. North
side of wing has one bay of 2-light horizontal sashes and a fine heavy
2-panelled door with iron studs and date CT 1753 outlined in smaller studs.
REAR WING has timber framed bay with herringbone brick infill and stone plinth
adjacent to front wing, and brick bay to left. Plain tile roof, central brick
chimney. 2 storeys. C17 bay has C20 sash in former doorway, 2-light horizontal
sash above, and traces of blocked original 2-light window. C19 bay has C20
casements and old board door. In storage inside house for duration of repair
work were lead rainwater heads, one dated CTM 1755. Circular lead cistern dated
CTM 1755 and JW 1707 missing 1986. Ovolo-moulded spine beam and segmental
headed brick fireplace in right bay of C18 wing.
Listing NGR: SK4782923557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings