This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8612 / 52°51'40"N
Longitude: -3.0563 / 3°3'22"W
OS Eastings: 328980
OS Northings: 329820
OS Grid: SJ289298
Mapcode National: GBR 73.RVF1
Mapcode Global: WH89X.0BXX
Plus Code: 9C4RVW6V+FF
Entry Name: Hermon Chapel
Listing Date: 6 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477072
Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Oswestry
Built-Up Area: Croesowallt
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
1602/13/10018 CHAPEL STREET
06-SEP-99 HERMON CHAPEL
Nonconformist chapel and Sunday school. Dated 1862; by Reverend Thomas Thomas of Llandor. Flemish bond red brick with stuccoed front and rendered at back. Slate roof with gabled ends. PLAN: Rectangular auditorium with gallery on three sides and entrance at SW end under gallery. Sunday school at NE end.
Classical Italianate style. EXTERIOR: Single storey. Tetrastyle pedimented SW front, the tympanum with inscription panel; and with giant pilasters, the outer bays with tall round-headed windows with moulded architraves, small keyblocks and bracketed cills; central tripartite window with round-headed lights, over round-headed pilastered doorway with moulded extrados, keyblock and panelled double doors, the top panels arched. Tall round-headed windows at sides and rear. All windows have original frames with foiled tracery over two lights. At N E end a single-storey Sunday school with 12-pane sash windows.
INTERIOR: Gallery on three sides on thin cast-iron columns and with panelled front. Intricately panelled ceiling to auditorium with central leaf rose. Deacons' seat and box pews intact, the latter including those in gallery. Rostrum at NE end with large organ behind, of 1909 by Blackett and Howden.
An exceptionally complete example of a chapel interior of this period and type, also of interest as an example of the work of the Reverend Thomas Thomas, one of the leading and certainly the most prolific of the Welsh chapel architects of the Victorian period.
Listing NGR: SJ2898029821
Other nearby listed buildings