History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grove Farmhouse and Attached Barn Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Roughton, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8904 / 52°53'25"N

Longitude: 1.2892 / 1°17'21"E

OS Eastings: 621367

OS Northings: 337611

OS Grid: TG213376

Mapcode National: GBR VC4.W6J

Mapcode Global: WHMS8.SM21

Plus Code: 9F43V7RQ+4M

Entry Name: Grove Farmhouse and Attached Barn Range

Listing Date: 6 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356749

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477086

Location: Roughton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Roughton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Roughton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in


1274/6/10003 Grove Farmhouse and
attached barn range

Farmhouse. Mid and late C17, with C 18-c1900 alterations, probably all for the Windham family
of Felbrigg Hall. Flint with red brick dressings and dentilled eaves. Part is rendered. Pantile roof with coped gables and brick central ridge and end stacks. 4-unit plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 4-window range of wooden mullion and transom windows. 3-light with 2-light over door to centre left and, to ground floor, 4-light with 3-light to right. Gabled porch and part-glazed door. Rear has 6-panel door and hood, similar 2-light windows under cambered brick arches and, to first floor, 2-light casements.
INTERIOR: Ground floor has stop-chamfered bridging beams, those to left unit with sunk-quadrant moulding and jewelled stops suggesting an early/mid C17 date. Stick baluster staircase. several2-panel doors. Massive stacks with C17 brickwork visible in roof space. Mid C18 roof of principals with collars, 2. tiers of butt purlins and coupled rafters. single-storey larder, washroom and pantry extension on north end dated 1853 with initials WHW for William Howe Windham.
Barn range is attached to extension and is set at right angles. Similar materials, pantile roof facing house, triple Roman tiles to rear and originally 2 storeys. Probably C 17 stable range converted to barn late C18. Central double doors. Various blocked windows. single-storey former cartshed projects forward on left and faces house. Various doors and windows. Outshots to rear of barn, partly under catslide roof. Further double doors.
INTERIOR: of barn. Probably late C18/early C19 6-bay softwood collar truss roof with 2 tiers of butt purlins, the tie beams possibly added later. Formerly part of the Felbrigg estate, possible since the C17, the house and attached barn range show careful estate improvements over a long period especially those in the mid C19.

Listing NGR: TG2136737611

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.