This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.498 / 51°29'52"N
Longitude: -0.149 / 0°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 528583
OS Northings: 179295
OS Grid: TQ285792
Mapcode National: GBR BK.Q5
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.CML0
Plus Code: 9C3XFVX2+59
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209574
Location: Westminster, London, SW1W
Electoral Ward/Division: Knightsbridge and Belgravia
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Peter Eaton Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2879 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER EATON SQUARE, SW1
1900/98/11 (North East side)
24-FEB-1958 Church of St Peter
Church 1824-27, classical Commissioners' church by Henry Hakewill, roof and interior restored, with minor alterations, 1837 by Charles Jearrad and J.H.Hakewill following fire. 1873-5 recasting by Arthur Blomfield, chancel of 1873, nave with Romanesque interior 1875, destroyed by fire 1987, refitted 1988-91 by the Braithwaite Partnership. Yellow stock brick, ashlar, stone dressings. Basilica, pedimented west portico, narthex carrying tower and cupola, rectangular nave, chancel with small north and south transepts, flanking chapels. Hexastyle Ionic portico, with plain entablature, after the west portico of the Erectheum, set on 4 steps, surmounted by pediment. Pilasters at rear angles, 3 tall doorways with moulded architraves, flat cornices on carved brackets, each with pair of doors with fielded panels. Coffered ceiling. Tower set on wide stylobate with tall plinth forming clock stage, each face with a clock. At bell stage, louvred round arched opening flanked by Ionic half columns with pilasters at the angles. Cupola set between pedimented blocks at the angles and surmounted by gilded metal cross. 5 bay return elevations, brick with stone dressings, the nave with 4 tall round headed windows linked by moulded stone bands, with plain rectangular lights with clear glass. The narthex, articulated by pilasters, breaks forward slightly, with slightly battered lower rectangular window and upper circular light.. Pedimented attic in stone, with plain recessed panel. Plain cill band, broken by the pilasters, simple entablature. North and south transepts and chancel 1873 by Blomfield, stock brick, in Romanesque manner, but echoing the style of the original church. Pedimented transepts with north and south entrances set between angle pilasters. Each with pair of doors beneath tympanum with circular glazed feature, under semicircular brick arch. Small roundel to each side. Above, three round-arched windows, defined by pilaster strips, linked by continuous moulding above, corbel table below. East and west elevations similar round-arched windows, two simple round-arched openings below. Tall round headed window echoing those of the nave, with open pedimented niche below. South chapel range of 5 round headed windows, stained glass intact, circular window above. East end not visible.
Interior. Narthex part remodelled after fire. Open well south stair of stone with iron balustrade. Former stair to north removed. Nave entirely remodelled 1990 lowering ceiling and obscuring internally remnants of Blomfield's chancel except for part of sanctuary and south chapel, now sacristy and vergers' room. Blind arcade of green reeded marbled piers enclosing mosaic of Christ in Glory. Open arcade to left, formerly above sedilia, of annulated marble shafts, links to south chapel. South chapel lined with alabaster sheets, engaged marble shafts at chapel's sanctuary support moulded timber arch of timber barrel vaulted roof. Pair of round arched lights flank upper circular cinquefoiled light, with moulded arch on short shafts. Glass probably by Clayton and Bell. 5 south windows under marble arcade with engaged shafts, glass not attributed. Mosaic floor with monogram and keys of St. Peter.
Monuments. George Howard Wilkinson, Bishop of St. Andrews, Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church, d. 1907, by W.R. Lethaby, recumbent figure in Bishop's robes, in marble on stone base. Victor John Fergus Ferguson, d. 1896, Major, Royal Horse Guards, stone tablet with a cross, sword and shako above, shield of arms below, signed Gaffin, Regent Street. Mary Georgiana Cathcart, d.1852, stone stele with lily in relief at the top, signed Bedford, 256 Oxford Street. Harold Wingfield, Midshipman,on H.M. S. Newcastle, drowned in the China Sea, 13 Decr. 1870, blue glazed tiles in lunette.
The Buildings of England, London I, The Cities of London & Westminster, 1973.
Council For The Care of Churches, Westminster, St. Peter, Eaton Square, Greater London, 1989.
Listing NGR: TQ2858379295
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings