History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Rood

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shilton, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7727 / 51°46'21"N

Longitude: -1.6142 / 1°36'51"W

OS Eastings: 426716

OS Northings: 208299

OS Grid: SP267082

Mapcode National: GBR 5T9.SV0

Mapcode Global: VHBZZ.ZP0W

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Rood

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 1 March 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357113

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422337

Location: Shilton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Shilton

Built-Up Area: Shilton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shilton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Carterton

Listing Text

SHILTON CHURCH LANE

SP20NE Church of the Holy
4/288 Rood. (formerly listed as
12.9.55 Shilton Church)

GV II*


Parish Church. 3-bay C12 nave and catslide south aisle, C13 chancel, C15
and later nave window, C15 crenellated 2-stage tower. Restored by Street.
Rubble, Cotswold stone roofs. Wide projecting north porch, probably late
mediaeval, Tower has diagonal buttresses, and Tudor-arch west door with
ornamental spandrels. South door C15 externally C12 internally, north
door blocked, C12 externally. In the north wall is a C16 3-light square-
head window with cusps. The best windows are in the 2-bay chancel, all
late C13 or c.1300: the east window of 3 cusped lights within arch with
roundels above outer lights, on south side the east window has a
quatrefoil in the tracery and the west window has a dropped cill.
Interior: cylindrical piers, plan arcades with large survival of
decorative painting, labels with head and dragon stops. Stepped tower
arch of C15, inner order without springers: unaligned heavily moulded
chancel arch. Windows: small C12 deep-splay round-headed window in east
wall of south aisle, chancel windows with rere-arches, east window appears
to have stained roundels, west window has a C15 sun and moon in tracery
lights, the west window of S.chancel wall has diamond panes with painted
foliage. Magnificent C15 font, square with relief panels concerning the
Crucifixion. Parish chest dated 1634. 3 memorials in chancel, the best
to William Chadwell Clarke, died 1710. Rood screen by H Hems, perhaps
incorporating mediaeval timber. Pews and pulpit of mid-C19. Roofs collar
rafter barrel type (plaster removed) - C17 or earlier to nave and porch.


Listing NGR: SP2671608299

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.