This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7887 / 51°47'19"N
Longitude: -1.678 / 1°40'40"W
OS Eastings: 422309
OS Northings: 210055
OS Grid: SP223100
Mapcode National: GBR 5T0.W06
Mapcode Global: VHBZY.V9SM
Plus Code: 9C3WQ8QC+FR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 1 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422403
Location: Westwell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
Civil Parish: Westwell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Westwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP21SW Church of St Mary
1/297 (formerly listed as
12.9.55 Church of St Mary The
Small Parish Church. C12 origins, chancel C13, porch C15 when the church
was remodelled, west bay and bellcote 1869 by E J Tarver. Rubble with
Cotswold stone roof and coped verges. Small 2-cell church, the nave now 3
bays, chancel 2 bays. Lancets and corbel table to chancel, east window a
large cinquefoil within a roll-mould (unusual but shown on Buckler's
drawing of 1825). Square head window to right of porch with 3 cusped-head
lights and label (restored). Mid-C12 south doorway with one order, set
back nook shafts and flaring chevron, the tympanum has a rebated surface
and a scratchdial. Porch has side buttresses and wave-mould doorway, it
also has a scratchdial (to replace the one the rendered ineffective by
building of the porch perhaps) and inside is a cusped niche the former
piscina from the chancel. West bay has plate tracery to north and south,
dated label stops on north, flowing ribbon to south. Square-plan bellcote
with 3 arched louvred belfry windows on each side. Interior plastered.
Roof in part probably C16 with arch-braced collars and queen struts. Tall
Norman north doorway (now into vestry). Wide, lightly pointed (?
remodelled) chancel arch with chip-carved impost string, cushion caps,
with beaded panels (to north). Chancel has a segmental head recess with a
C17 communion table - perhaps for Easter sepulchre zone probably for
founder/benefactor's tomb - below short north window. The main altar is a
re-used mensa slab (discovered 1933). The south chancel window retains
evidence of painted decoration, florets etc. 2 important monuments, (cf
Pevsner: B of E). Uncharacteristically the chancel monument to the Rev.
Richard Thorneton (died 1613) has above it a helm; amateur touching up of
the heraldry on shields of tomb-chest. Trinder monument on north wall of
nave obviously built without taking into account that it would have to
clear the (lost) box pews and so entangles itself with roof structure.
Unusual quadrilobe and reeded base chalice - type font. Early C16 glass
in south window of nave (? contemporary). Advowson belonged at on time to
the Hospitallers of Quennington, later to Edington Priory.
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire (ed. Sir Niklaus Pevsner) 1974.
Listing NGR: SP2230910052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings