This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.489 / 51°29'20"N
Longitude: -0.0063 / 0°0'22"W
OS Eastings: 538515
OS Northings: 178561
OS Grid: TQ385785
Mapcode National: GBR L0.WLS
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.VT1W
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 27 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206071
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E14
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Island Gardens
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Isle of Dogs
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3878 MANCHESTER ROAD E14
Parish church. 1852-54 by Frederick Johnstone for William Cubitt to serve Cubitt's estate. Contractor William Cubitt. Vestry enlarged 1906-7 by J.E.K. & J.P. Cutts. Baptistry in base of tower 1909 by Bodley & Hare. Stock brick laid in Flemish bond with Portland stone dressings; slate roofs. Plan of nave, transepts, chancel and south steeple. Early English style. EXTERIOR: west end with setback buttresses; stepped buttresses to north and south flanks. Arched west door with undercut mouldings, dog-tooth and 2 orders of columns. 5 stepped lancets above, and single lancet in gable head. Side bays of nave each with twin lancets. Gabled north porch with arched entrance. Setback buttresses to transepts. Both transept with triple lancets and a cusped trefoil under gable heads. 3-stage tower, the lower 2 stages with setback buttresses and setback pilaster buttresses to belfry. Arched south doorway with undercut mouldings and 2 orders of columns. String courses between stages. Ringing chamber with one lancet to west and south sides. Belfry stage with 3 louvred lancets to each face under a corbel course. Broached brick spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes, each consisting of a lancet within a tall gablet. Chancel with 3 trefoil-headed stepped lancets to east wall. One tall lancet to north side and 3 to south. Setback east buttresses and stepped flanking buttresses. INTERIOR: west screen and community rooms of 1982-83 by Levitt Bernstein Associates. Double chamfered chancel arch. Chamfered and hollow chamfered tower arch doorway with polygonal responds. Nave roof of large arched braces rising from expanded wall posts to collars. Roof over crossing elaborated by 4 flying arched braces meeting in the centre and supporting a crown post. Boarded chancel ceiling with ribs. FURNISHINGS: plain marble font. Mural painting over chancel arch of The Company of Heaven by J.R. Spencer Stanhope, 1907, painted by F.A. Jackson. Chancel altar with 5 painted panels in Northern Renaissance style. High altar and reredos (north transept) with painted panels in early Italian Renaissance style. Pulpit with 3 painted panels by John Melhuish Strudwick c. 1914 in Pre-Raphaelite style depicting the Annunciation. Set of Stations of the Cross, c. 1938 by Ian Howgate. Organ (south transept), 1911, rebuilt 1950s by Noel Mander. Stained glass: Edward the Confessor (south-west nave) c. 1920 by A.K. Nicholson.
Listing NGR: TQ3851578561
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings