History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Michael's Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ilsington, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5723 / 50°34'20"N

Longitude: -3.717 / 3°43'1"W

OS Eastings: 278508

OS Northings: 76138

OS Grid: SX785761

Mapcode National: GBR QK.4BRX

Mapcode Global: FRA 373K.7QB

Entry Name: St Michael's Cottage

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358910

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439507

Location: Ilsington, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Ilsington

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ilsington St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ilsington

Listing Text

ILSINGTON ILSINGTON
SX 77 NE
3/124 Nos. 1, 2 and 3 St Michael's
23.8.55 Cottages

GV II*

Row of 3 cottages, formerly the church house. Early C16, restored 1938. Built of a
mixture of slatestone and granite rubble with quoins of large dressed granite
blocks; details also in granite. Slated roof. Large granite chimneystack with
offsets and tapered top, projecting from front wall off centre to left. On right-
hand gable a large granite ashlar stack with tapered top. On left-hand gable a
smaller granite stack, also with tapered top. Original plan almost certainly had 3
rooms in the ground storey with opposing front and back doors at the right-hand end
of the central hall; there is no evidence of a through-passage. No.1 now has the
inner room and upper end of the hall, No.2 the rest of the hall, and No.3 the
kitchen. The upper storey probably consisted of a single long room entered by an
outside staircase at the right-hand end of the front wall. There is some evidence
of an internal staircase beside the kitchen stack, and a shallow projection behind
the inner room that may have been a garderobe. 2 storeys. 5-window front; the
windows all have early C20 wood casements with 6 or 8 panes per light. In the
ground storey No.2 has a moulded granite doorway with a 4-centred arch having carved
spandrels, the original entrance to the hall. To the right of it No.3 has a
chamfered granite doorway with a 4-centred arch, the original entrance to the
kitchen. At the left-hand end the doorway of No.1 also has a 4-centred arch, but
this is probably a C19 insertion. There is a continuous stringcourse at sill-level
in the second storey, stopping just short of the former doorway at right-hand end,
now converted into a window; doorway has moulded granite surround with 4-centred
arch. Rear wall facing churchyard has casement windows matching those at the front.
Original rear doorway, opposite the front door of No.2, has chamfered granite
surround with segmental arch; now blocked and window inserted. At right-hand
(north) end, behind No.1, is a shallow projection rising to eaves level and having a
pent roof of stone slabs; it may have been a garderobe.
Interior: former hall (now sub-divided, the main part in the 2 ground storey rooms
of No.2, the remainder in the right-hand room of No.1) has broad chamfered upper-
floor beams with run-out and straight-cut stops (it is sometimes difficult to be
certain which was intended); chamfered joists with step-stops. Above the left-hand
end-wall in No.1 is the head-beam of a plank-and-muntin screen with hollow and
three-quarter-round mouldings; studs appear to have been removed. In front wall (at
No.2) is a large blocked fireplace with wooden lintel. Inner room (in No.1) has
plain joists running lengthways (no beam). Small gable-fireplace with mutilated
wood lintel. Former kitchen (in No.3) has also been sub-divided; it has upper floor
beams like those in the hall, but with plain joists. Very wide, deep gable-
fireplace, mostly blocked, with cambered and chamfered wood lintel having
immediately above it a relieving arch following the line of the camber. No visible
features in upper storey. Roof has 10 side-pegged jointed-cruck trusses, including
2 gable trusses; butt purlins, cranked collars. The top of the curved part of the
cruck projects slightly and is rounded. Not possible to see if the ridge-piece is
original. No evidence of original partitions. No smoke-blackening.
Building converted into a Poor House in C18 and sold by the Parish for conversion
into private dwellings in 1839.
Source: guide to St Michael's Church, Ilsington.


Listing NGR: SX7850576145

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.