This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5924 / 51°35'32"N
Longitude: -0.1853 / 0°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 525806
OS Northings: 189729
OS Grid: TQ258897
Mapcode National: GBR C3.CZF
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.Q7XM
Entry Name: Crematorium and Chapel, St Marylebone Cemetary
Listing Date: 26 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359115
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199241
Location: Barnet, London, N2
Electoral Ward/Division: East Finchley
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Finchley St Paul
Church of England Diocese: London
The following building shall be added:
TQ 2589 EAST END ROAD, N2
22/3 Crematorium and Chapel
St Marylebone Cemetary
Crematorium and chapel, 1937, by Edwin Cooper for Borough of St Marylebone.
English band red brick with tile and limestone dressings and stone coursing
beneath eaves; hipped pantile roof. Plan of chapel surrounded by offices, to
north of cloisters, surrounding quadrangle. Italianate style. Chapel has
stepped stone architraves to semi-circular arched windows of 3-bay east and west
windows and round north window; chapel is surrounded by lean-to roofs over low
offices and north entrance loggia, having square-headed classical stone
architraves to doorways and tile surrounds to square-headed windows to east and
west and loggia with tile and brick piers and semi-circular arched entry; stone
semi-circular arch with tile tympanum over panelled double doors set in
square-headed classical stone architraves, flanked by urns set in stone bowls.
Chimney is set within 4-stage south-east tower with neo-classical urns to stone
parapet surmounted by octagonal upper stage with iron grilles to openings and
stone coursing to top. Coilsters surrounding Garden of Rest to rear have stone
bowls set in walls, and stone steps to square-headed west doorway flanked by
3-bay open screens with Doric columns; inner quadrangle has Doric columns to
cloister walks, which have hipped porches with semi-circular arched doorways to
centre of each elevation. Interior: in red brick, with pedimented and
square-headed classical doorways. 3 domes to ceiling of chapel, which has
shields bearing arms of St Marylebone to walls; marble catafalque with
ornamental bronze doors; inverted torch over doorway to Garden of Rest. One of
Edwin Cooper's last commissions; his ashes lie here.
(The Builder, 14.1.1938, pp 61-6).
Listing NGR: TQ2580689729
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings