This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5141 / 51°30'50"N
Longitude: -0.0764 / 0°4'35"W
OS Eastings: 533575
OS Northings: 181215
OS Grid: TQ335812
Mapcode National: GBR VC.ZF
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.M6GN
Plus Code: 9C3XGW7F+JC
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359143
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199278
Location: City of London, London, EC3N
County: City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Portsoken
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Botolph without Aldgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3381 SE
ALDGATE HIGH STREET EC3 (north side)
Church of St Botolph
1741 to 1744, by G Dance (elder). Aisled body with ritual west tower (in fact south-east) flanked by low, domed lobbies. Mixed yellow and red brick with partly painted stone dressings. Two-tiers of windows, segmentally arched below and round arched with stone dressings above. Central Venetian window with larger one to simply gabled east end. Entablature topped by parapet.
Lobbies have pedimented doorways, cornice and blocking with copper roofs to domes. Tower has arched doorway in pedimented lower stage. Arched and circular openings above with quoins, strip pilasters etc and cornice topped by carved urns and spire above with octagonal clock stage.
Interior greatly altered by Bentley in 1889 (?) Widely spaced, Doric colonnade rising from level of gallery which is supported at west end by small Ionic columns. Rich plaster ceiling with figures of angels to cove, entirely late C19. Reredos said to be of this date but with mid C18 characteristics.
Plain C18 pulpit. Carved organ case, possibly 1676 or rather later. Good wrought iron altar rails and sword rest. Monuments in vestibule under tower also plain marble font with good oak cover.
Listing NGR: TQ3357481216
Other nearby listed buildings