This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7876 / 52°47'15"N
Longitude: -0.1532 / 0°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 524644
OS Northings: 322707
OS Grid: TF246227
Mapcode National: GBR HX9.B2D
Mapcode Global: WHHMM.M68B
Entry Name: 1, Sheep Market
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359545
English Heritage Legacy ID: 197353
Location: South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11
District: South Holland
Electoral Ward/Division: Spalding Castle
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Spalding
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Spalding St Mary and St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
(South East Side)
TF 2421 1/114 29.12.50.
Circa 1230 in origins. A small building of brick and stone, with almost entirely
C19 exterior appearance, except for rounded shape. A hipped slate roof. Interior
consists of a single vaulted room on ground floor with 8 concentric arches with
chamfered wood beams. A spiral stone staircase in the wall leads to an upper
roof of similar proportions but without vaulting. Windows are, in both rooms,
of C19 date, the building having served as a house for a blacksmith. Formerly
it was part of the Priory, and is said to have been a lock-up for the monks.
The present name of the 'Prior's Oven' is derived from its shape, and has no
bearing on its former use.
Forms a group with Nos 15 to 17 (consec) Hall Place which are local interest
Listing NGR: TF2464422707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings