This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1203 / 53°7'13"N
Longitude: -0.6717 / 0°40'18"W
OS Eastings: 488991
OS Northings: 358953
OS Grid: SK889589
Mapcode National: GBR DMK.BZN
Mapcode Global: WHGJH.NTBR
Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter
Listing Date: 23 August 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192423
Location: Norton Disney, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN6
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Norton Disney
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: The Withamside United Parish
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 85 NE
Church of St Peter
Parish church.C13,C14,C15 restored 1886.Coursed rubble and ashlar.West tower,nave with north aisle and south chapel,chancel and north chantry chapel.Tower moulded plinth and quoins topped with lavish battlements,gargoyles and eight pinnacles.West pointed arched doorway has shields in the spandrels.Above a large two-light pointeda rched window with panel tracery.Third stage has four smaller two-light pointed arched bell openings.North aisle has C13 rubble wall,raised in C15 with ashlar wall,divided by chamfered band,and topped with moulded parapet with gargoyles.West window,two-light under four centred arch.North wall has low ogee headed doorway with a four-centred arched two-light window above and to the left a similar three-light window,with beyond a three-light chamfered mullion window.The chantry chapel has two two-light plate tracery windows with hood moulds and label stops.The east wall has a four-light flat headed window with chamfered segment headed lights.A stepped buttress divides the chapel and chancel gables,which both have a chamfered plinth.The chancel has three unequal segment headed,cusped,lights, within a round headed arch,with a large relieving arch above both east windows.The chancel south wall has a low doorway and three irregular two-light panel tracery windows with flat heads and hood moulds.The south chapel has a single diagonal buttress and an east window of three cusped lights under a four-centred arch.The south wall has a flat headed window of five segment headed lights with a drip mould, above is a similar four-light window.The south nave wall has a pointed arched doorway with hood mould and label stops.Interior has a two bay C13 nave arcade with double chamfered arches and a circular pier,and to the east another C15,four-centre arch.The tower and chancel arches are both CJS,and the latter has the remains of the original rood and rood stair either side.The south chapel has a large C15,four-centred arch and also two odd foliate capitals.A two bay C14 arcade with a circular pier,divides the chancel from the chantry chapel.A restored C15 screen with C15 poppy head benches in the chancel and plain head benches in the nave.A C15 octagonal font with shields in quatrefoils.The nave roof is C15 with carved bosses,and the remaining roofs are late C19.A C18 altar rail,five important effigy tombs survive in the Disney Chantry and also a brass wall tablet,c1580 to Wm Disney.In the chancel is a large monument to the 4th Viscount St Vincent by J S Westmacott of 1887.
Listing NGR: SK8899358954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings