This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8288 / 50°49'43"N
Longitude: -0.4846 / 0°29'4"W
OS Eastings: 506824
OS Northings: 104344
OS Grid: TQ068043
Mapcode National: GBR GKT.Y11
Mapcode Global: FRA 96WX.11X
Entry Name: Angmering War Memorial
Listing Date: 24 June 2002
Last Amended: 14 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489560
Location: Angmering, Arun, West Sussex, BN16
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Angmering
Built-Up Area: Littlehampton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Angmering Saint Margaret with Ham and Bargham
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
First World War memorial by P M Johnston, with the lettering carried out by Eric Gill. It was unveiled on 27 May 1920.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial consists of a tall octagonal Latin cross, after the Reginald Blomfield Cross of Sacrifice design. It stands some 4.2m high. The shaft terminates with a curved moulded block. This atop the narrow octagonal plinth and octagonal two-stepped base with paved surround.
The memorial now carries 40 First World War names and 11 Second World War
names. As the octagonal sides of the memorial are not equal, the First World War
inscription and names are predominantly placed on the wider faces of the plinth; the Second World War names (and names added subsequently) have been fitted into the narrower faces.
The First World War inscription reads: 1914 / IN / REMEMBRANCE / OF THESE / WHO SERVED / AND DIED / IN THE WAR / 1918. The two Second World War inscriptions read: 1939 / (NAMES) / 1945.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.
The Angmering war memorial committee formed in 1919. It tried to be as representative as possible, ensuring that it included representatives from Angmering’s three churches, three friendly societies, female and male relatives of the fallen, and two overseers of the poor.
Architect and antiquarian, P M Johnston, FSA, FRIBA, attended a committee meeting and recommended placing a cross on the churchyard wall of St Mary’s, arguing that it would be the most appropriate setting, because the village green would be unsuitable. The committee, however, rejected this advice and called a public meeting, held on 1 April 1919, where it was resolved that the memorial be erected on the village green in The Square, and that an earlier proposed design should be executed, not Johnston’s suggestion for a rustic stone design.
The final design has been attributed to P M Johnston, but the local history society suggests that the design was by the stone masonry company that produced it, Francis Tate and Co, Carrara Marble Works in Worthing. The charge for executing and installing the memorial was £194 6s 0d. Work to provide the foundations was carried out by Z Peskett and Sons of Angmering and cost £10 5s 0d.
Eric Gill, a renowned figure whose workshop was based not far away at Ditchling Common, was commissioned to carry out the inscriptions. His drawings are annotated with instructions to carefully centre the lettering, in contrast to his usual preference to left-justify. This may have been in accordance with the design. The Second World War inscriptions have been carved in the Gill tradition.
The memorial was unveiled on 27 May 1920, with the Rector of Angmering, Rev T L Pearson and Rector emeritus Rev J B Orme, alongside Colonel Walter Campion and his Adjutant, Captain Middleton. Colonel Campion was a local MP between 1910-24 and had charge of a territorial battalion in the Royal Sussex Regiment.
Ownership of the memorial formally passed to Angmering Parish Council in 1929, but care of the grounds was entrusted to the local branch of the Royal British Legion, who continue to care for them.
The memorial was first listed at Grade II on 24 June 2002.
Philip Mainwaring Johnston (1865-1936) was a noted church architect and antiquarian. He had been a pupil of John Belcher (1841-1913) and set up his own practice in 1881. He wrote articles about Sussex churches and worked on many restorations across the Home Counties. He had a keen interest in wall paintings, and was therefore a more careful restorer than some during this period. Johnston was the architect to Chichester Cathedral. Some of his church restorations included St Mary’s, Chithurst, St Andrew, Ford, St Botolph’s, Hardham, and St Mary Magdalen, Lyminster, West Sussex, all listed at Grade I.
Eric Gill (1882-1940) was one of the most celebrated lettercutters, engravers, typographers and sculptors of his time. Before the First World War he built his reputation on his work as a lettercutter and engraver, but began to sculpt in 1909, preferring the unconventional direct carving style of practice. After the First World War he was commissioned to design war memorials including those at Bisham, Briantspuddle, Chirk, Leeds University, South Harting and Trumpington. His work later included large architectural sculptures, including figures for the exterior of Broadcasting House and a large relief entitled The Creation of Adam at the League of Nations Palace, Geneva.
Francis Tate and Co, now Francis Tate Marbleworks, (established 1864, still operating) was a local stonemasonry company based in Worthing. It was established in 1864 by Alfred Ovett, who died in 1881. At this time, Francis Tate (1852-1921), who had been a stonemason in London, moved to Sussex and purchased the workshop. His workshop prospered and remained in the family for a century. Much of their production was in the line of tombstones, memorials and cemetery monuments. They produced a number of First World War memorials after 1918, including the Angmering war memorial in 1919 (cost £194 6s 0d) and the pedestal for the bronze figure comprising the Worthing war memorial c 1921 (cost £400).
Angmering War Memorial, situated at the village green at the junctions of Arundel Road and Water Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as an elegant example of a Latin cross of Portland stone in a style that emerged as the recognisable look of remembrance;
* Sculptural interest: as a good example of a memorial bearing fine inscriptions by the renowned sculptor, letter carver, typographer and engraver, Eric Gill;
* Group value: with Grade-II listed cottages around the village green.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings