This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4134 / 53°24'48"N
Longitude: -2.9698 / 2°58'11"W
OS Eastings: 335636
OS Northings: 391165
OS Grid: SJ356911
Mapcode National: GBR 77L.LD
Mapcode Global: WH877.CG1L
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of Saint Francis Xavier
Listing Date: 28 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 359442
Location: Liverpool, L3
Electoral Ward/Division: Everton
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Everton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 3591 SALISBURY STREET
23/1087 Roman Catholic
Church of Saint
28.6.52 Francis Xavier
Catholic church. 1845-9. J. J. Scoles, the Lady Chapel
added 1888 by E. Kirby. Stone with slate roof.
Geometrical. Name with aisles under separate roofs, short
chancel flanked by chapels with Lady chapel to 'SE' (ritual
'W' is actual N). Tower to south west has spire. Aisles
have 2-light windows, north aisle has 8 to north , one to
west. Nave has 4-light west windows and wheel window above,
no clerestory. Tower has set-back buttresses and pointed
arched entrances to south. 3-light bell openings and
recessed spire behind altered parapet has lucarnes and
diapered bands; 4 pinnacles at the angles of tower. Chancel
of one bay has canted end with 2-light windows. Lady chapel
is of 2 bays with canted corner bays. Buttresses end in
pinnacles, 2 light windows; 3-light west window. Interior:
Nave has 7-bay arcades on slender marble columns (now
painted). Wagon roof with iron ties. Chancel arch. North
aisle has trefoil heads to confessional entries. High altar
and reredos by S. J. Nicholl of white marble, with arcading
and pinnacles. Altar rails of coloured marble. Rood under
chancel arch. Caen stone pulpit on south side of nave.
Chapels have altars and rerdoses similar to High altar.
Elaborate stone font at west end of nave. Lady chapel has
apsidal ends to west and east, that to east forming
ambulatory with arcade on marble columns. Marble wall
snafts and ribbed plaster vault. Tabernacle doors said to
be by Conrad Dressler. An important church in the
alternative tradition to that of A. W. Pugin, and a good,
largely unaltered example of Scoles' work.
H. R. Hitchcock, Early Victorian Architecture, 1954, p.90.
Listing NGR: SJ3563691165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings