History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rufford New Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Rufford, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.6409 / 53°38'27"N

Longitude: -2.8242 / 2°49'27"W

OS Eastings: 345607

OS Northings: 416355

OS Grid: SD456163

Mapcode National: GBR 8VQB.CL

Mapcode Global: WH864.LRC6

Plus Code: 9C5VJ5RG+88

Entry Name: Rufford New Hall

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361855

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357711

Location: Rufford, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Rufford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Rufford with Holmeswood St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in


SD 41 NE
7/9 Rufford New Hall

- II

Country house, now hospital. 1760 and 1798; enlarged, and altered. Brick,
formerly stuccoed but now roughcast, with low-pitched hipped slate roof
concealed by a low parapet. Now irregular plan with extensions to rear (north
west) of main block, which has a 5-bay facade to the south east and return
walls of 8 bays on the left and 6 bays on the right. Two storeys,
symmetrical; tetrastyle Ionic portico of unfluted columns protecting a wide
tripartite doorway with segmental fanlight (now glazed doors); sashed windows
with 15 panes at ground floor, 12 panes above, but those to the left mostly
altered or obscured by a fire escape leading down to the left from the second
window and enclosed in translucent corrugated sheet. Left return wall
entirely covered by modern 2-storey verandah with glazed outer screen. Right
return wall of 6 bays like the front but with extended hexastyle Ionic portico
covering 4 bays. At the rear corner of the left return wall an attached
service wing has an Ionic colonnade now with glazed screening on its inner
side, and this colonnade carries through to the interior where it becomes an
Ionic screen distyle in antis at the lower end of the rear of 2 interconnected
rooms on this side (ballroom and ante-room): this room has a modillioned
cornice, and original double doors to the front room, which has a moulded
plaster cornice and simple oval and circular ceiling moulding; otherwise, the
only feature of interest is the former entrance hall, a spacious rectangle
lighted by a domed oval skylight, which has a flying stone staircase and
landing on 3 sides, with wrought iron balusters. History: built by Sir Robert
Hesketh and an enlarged by his grandson, 1798-9, at which date the Hesketh
family abandoned Rufford Old Hall as a residence.

Listing NGR: SD4560716355

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.