This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.699 / 53°41'56"N
Longitude: -2.3438 / 2°20'37"W
OS Eastings: 377397
OS Northings: 422564
OS Grid: SD773225
Mapcode National: GBR DT2N.CQ
Mapcode Global: WH979.Z923
Plus Code: 9C5VMMX4+JF
Entry Name: Former Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185671
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4
Electoral Ward/Division: Helmshore
Built-Up Area: Haslingden
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Haslingden St James
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/01/2019
SD 72 SE
Holden Wood Antiques Centre
Former Church of St. Stephen
(Formerly listed as Church of St. Stephen)
Former church, 1868, rebuilt on this site 1926-1927 (architect then Robert Martin LRIBA). Rock-faced sandstone, slate roof with two bands of fishscale slates. North-west tower with spire, nave with polygonal chancel, in simple Gothic style.
Three-stage tower incorporating porch has angle buttresses, arched north doorway with hoodmould and figured stops, two triangular trefoils in each side wall, two lancets in each side at the middle level, belfry with two cusped louvres in a panel with Lombard frieze, and a broach spire with lucarnes to the cardinal faces. West end of nave has short gabled porch with figured stops to the hoodmould of the arch, buttresses flanking this, windows of two cusped lights at each side, and above the porch a three-light west window with plate tracery. Buttressed five bay nave has two-light windows with plate tracery, and polygonal chancel in matching style has gabled vestry and organ house on north and south sides. Small modern extension at south-west corner of nave.
Interior: nave is single vessel with arch-braced hammerbeam roof supported by carved stone corbels, all with different foliation; chancel roof supported by hammerbeam rising from carved angel corbels has one scissor-braced truss.
Brass plate in south side of chancel arch states that church "formerly stood one and a quarter miles up the valley", and was rebuilt on this site, consecrated 22 May 1927: plate on facing wall marking corner stone laid by Earl of Derby March 21 1926.
War memorial window on south side of nave portraying soldier with helmet and rifle loosely held in his hands, a large angel with arm over his shoulder pointing heavenwards with her other hand, and Christ the King waiting in the other window: lettering at the head "Well done thou good and faithful servant Enter thou into the joy of the Lord", and at the foot commemorating sixteen men of this parish.
Listing NGR: SD7739722564
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings