This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1723 / 53°10'20"N
Longitude: -1.2486 / 1°14'54"W
OS Eastings: 450324
OS Northings: 364176
OS Grid: SK503641
Mapcode National: GBR 8DX.352
Mapcode Global: WHDFR.SJMC
Entry Name: Pleasley Village Hall
Listing Date: 1 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362085
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468862
Location: Pleasley, Bolsover, Derbyshire, NG19
Civil Parish: Pleasley
Built-Up Area: Mansfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Pleasley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 56 SW PLEASLEY NEWBOUNDMILL LANE
(south east side)
1261/11/10004 Pleasley Village Hall
Alternatively known as: The Vemey Institute, NEWBOUNDMILL LANE Village Hall. 1905-6, with minor late C20 alterations. By Parker and Unwin, architects, ofBaldock and Letchworth (Herts), formerly of Buxton (Derbyshire). Roughcast brickwork beneath a hipped, pantiled roof. Simple Arts and Crafts style. FRONT (north-west) ELEVATION : Tall linear range runs parallel to street frontage, with lower advanced wings to each end, linked by lean-to entrance porch, above which rises a pediment-like gable. This has a clock face in the gable apex, above a 3- light window. Above this, a small bell-tower with a shallow, lead covered pyramidal roof. To the right of the central gable and projecting from an enclosed part of the porch, a tall shouldered brick chimney stack supporting 2-diagonally set shafts. A second, similarly detailed stack extends from the north-east gable, with angled flanking walls rising above eaves level. Advanced wings each with a single 3-light casement window, with leaded glazing. REAR ELEVATION: Advanced hipped bay to left-hand end, with single 3-light ground -floor casement, and 3 shallow eaves-level windows with leaded glazing. 3 further bays are delineated by shallow raking buttresses, and with transomed casements set within gablets. Similar windows at ground floor level. INTERIOR: Not inspected but documentary evidence at time of listing reveals full-height hall with exposed king post roof trusses, and diagonal underboarding of the roof slopes. Hearth recess to north-east end with canted hearth, below plain mantel shelf and flanked by angled built-in settles with high boarded backs. The hearth is recessed within a wide arched opening. At each side of the arch, fixed cupboards stand at the end of the hearth settles. Other surviving interior fixtures include wall panelling, tiered mantel shelving incorporating double cupboards, and planked doors with integral lights and original door furniture. HISTORY: This almost unaltered village hall may represent one of the fi11al designs of Parker and Unwin whilst the practice was still located in Buxton. Unwin had undertaken work for the Staveley Iron and Coal Company prior to joining Parker, and Pleasley was also a mining and textile manufacturing community .The building retains much detailing characteristic of the work of Parker and Unwin, and the interior fitted furniture around the domestic-scale hearth is particularly noteworthy.
Listing NGR: SK5032464176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings