This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8421 / 53°50'31"N
Longitude: -2.4318 / 2°25'54"W
OS Eastings: 371686
OS Northings: 438516
OS Grid: SD716385
Mapcode National: GBR CSG0.BG
Mapcode Global: WH96H.MP6F
Entry Name: Mitton Hall
Listing Date: 29 December 1952
Last Amended: 27 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183409
Location: Little Mitton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Little Mitton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Whalley St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 73 NW LITTLE MITTON
SD 716 385
10/90 Mitton Hall (formerly listed as Little
29-12-1952 Mitton Hall)
House, now used as restaurant, c.1844 (VCH), with timber-framed hall of c.1500.
Sandstone rubble, partly pebbledashed, with slate roof. 2 storeys with attic.
Comprises a central hall, now with external walls of stone, and 2 cross-wings.
The left-hand (south) cross-wing has a 10-light mullioned and transomed window
on each floor, and a 3-light mullioned attic window. The right-hand cross-wing
has a 2-storey mullioned and transomed bay window added in 1874 (VCH). The
hall has 2 2-storey gabled projections. The left-hand one has a window on
each floor lighting the hall. The right-hand one is a porch which has a doorway
of C17th type, with cyma-moulded semicircular arch and moulded imposts. On the
lst floor of the hall are 3 mullioned windows of C17th type. Chimneys on outer
walls of cross-wings and at rear of hall.
Interior. The hall was restored in 1874. The spere truss has large moulded
timber posts with carved braces to a cambered tie. Between tie and principals
are thin straight intersecting braces. The central truss has a moulded
cambered tie beam with carved braces and moulded principal posts, the rear one
terminating over a lateral fireplace. At the high end is an aisled truss with
moulded half columns. The 2 intermediate trusses have arch braces. At the
low end are 4 moulded timber doorways with Tudor-arched heads, the 2 left-hand
ones now blocked by a stair to the later gallery. At gallery level the low
end wall has square panels with moulded studs and rails and decorative corner
braces. The gallery runs around 3 sides of the hall and has a timber balustrade,
partly C17th. The hall fireplace has a Tudor-arched head, and casement moulding.
Listing NGR: SD7168638516
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings